Part 4: Meet Thorn and Poison Ivy

Alienistics Carnivorous Plants

Scientific Name:Nepenthes ampullaria (tropical pitcher plant)

Moniker:Thorn (likes to be called Nepen for short)

Thorn is a handsome, small, short growing carnivorous pitcher plant with lots of little pot shaped earthenware with narrow, backward turned lids used for holding liquids of all forms. Traps in this clone have a nice dark red tint, and wide, prominent wings. Doesn't like to be made fun of, as he has a temper problem if you call him 'short'. Once when he was a seedling and heard another plant make fun of him, he ate his nemesis as soon as Thorn grew up. So yes beware bullies ... he has jaws that bite!

Lesson to learn: Do not mess with Thorn. He might not have spikes as his namesake states, but he is a terrible plant who will fight till he gets what he wants!

 He might not have spikes as his namesake states, but he is a terrible plant who will fight till he gets what he wants!

Scientific Name:Dionaea muscipula (Venus Fly Trap)

Moniker: Poison Ivy (aka Dione)

She's Thorn's partner in crime. A flamboyant flower known as Dione. A flowering plant best known for its carnivorous eating habits as Dione likes to get her targets all the time. Her "trap" is made of two hinged lobes at the end of each leaf. On the inner surfaces of the lobes are hair-like projections called trichomes that cause the lobes to snap shut when prey comes in contact with them. The hinged traps are edged with small bristles that interlock when the trap shuts to ensure the prey can't squirm out.

Lesson to learn: As a flamboyant plant, Poison Ivy often lures her prey to come closer to her. La femme Nikita, otherwise known as the unconquerable woman, is one you should look out for as she bites!

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

With beady eyes now turning red due to starvation, Thorn turned to his partner in crime, Poison Ivy. Thinking that no one would ever come back again to brighten their day as they were stuck in the desolate muddy soil, two innocent souls waited for something fresh to feed upon. Thorn, a ravishing monster and his partner in crime, Poison Ivy were the seedlings that popped, out of the then young astronaut, Garreth Lewis's pocket. To the plants, that was the last sight of human interaction they would ever know. Yet, things would change after the two have cried to the moon to save them from dying.

Microscopic organisms, tiny life forms were their daily munchies, but now it was getting to be a bore. The droughts that emptied the plains were once full of water. Now that rain has come and gone, both Thorn and Poison Ivy looked at each other as they knew their stems ached for a bite to eat.

Then they heard voices; noises of the unknown. All the two knew now was they weren't alone anymore. They were quite sensitive to this change.

"You smell that Thorny? Humans have landed! It's been a eons since we've last seen them." Dione took her tongue out to show how entusiastic she was. Fresh meat at last!