Chapter 10

It was nearly midnight when the first yawns began. Misa watched as the evening's events finally caught up to her family and friends, watched as their shoulders began to tiredly droop, while the eyes of the little ones began to close. The first yawn turned into two, then three, before finally becoming infectious: it rippled through the room, and soon the adults began to excuse themselves to lay sleeping children to bed.

Misa directed everyone to the spare bedrooms, unflinching when those angry with her glared with mistrusting eyes. She watched as families retreated through different doors, the atmosphere solemn and just the tiniest bit awkward.

It was only when the bedroom doors closed behind her friends did the sound of faint whispering reach her ears as she stood in the living room with her brothers. It could've been her imagination, but she was positive it wasn't.

Of course they're going to whisper! she told herself, guiltily. She hadn't missed the glances her way as her oppas and their significant others had gathered in small clusters, whispering in corners.

She expected that, the hushed voices, the suspicious looks; her sousofu had warned her that disbelief and even mistrust was inevitable. But, it didn't mean it hurt any less.

Slightly shaking her head, Misa turned to her brothers. "I'll take first watch," she told them, then walked off before they could protest.

She made her way to the hidden stairway that led upstairs. A glass-domed solarium took up a little more than a fourth of the entire top floor, giving the illusion of open sky in between the tropical plants that flourished in the room. Tucking away into a secluded corner that allowed her a spectacular view of the sleeping city, Misa sighed as she slumped against the wall. Although the sight should have brought her a calmness she needed, it only made her heart and shoulders sag with worry.

Misa knew life didn't always go according to plan, but never in her wildest dreams had she ever thought that she would be called upon to exercise her duties as Guardian. It had always been a possibility, and she'd prepared and trained hard for this day should it come, but....

"I never thought it would be me," she confessed into the night.

FLASHBACK

"Sousofu, what are we doing here?"

Ichiro Tatsuya paused in his search among the old scrolls hidden at the bottom of a large iron chest. "We are looking for something very important, my Misaki," he answered, smiling at the curious seven-year old.

"Why is it important?" she asked, still curious.

He went back to searching. "It is something you should read and know, love," he said. He bent down and pushed aside some scrolls, then grabbed at one. "Ah! Here it is!" he said, triumphantly.

Misa watched as her great-grandfather pulled the scroll from the trunk, then walked over to a nearby table. He carefully unrolled the parchment, then motioned for her to join him. The words on the paper were faded, but still readable in the bright light of the desk lamp.