Second Chance Romance

Description: Hyunjin doesn't do second chances, unless they're Lee Felix. After seeing his ex again at a dance competition, Hyunjin can't help but give this one more shot. 

As an avid reader, Hyunjin had an extensive list of the tropes he loved, and more importantly the ones he couldn't stand. He couldn't get enough of friends to lovers, fake dating, and most of all grumpy and sunshine.

He loathed second chance romance more than anything. It just never felt right, and always left him unsatisfied. If he was going to indulge in a cheesy rom-com book, it had to be a new romance.

Due to his intolerance of this trope, he never thought he would be the type to go back to his ex. That was until his ex was Lee Felix.

It had been a month since the breakup and Hyunjin was doing his best to go about his normal life without falling apart. The whole thing had taken a heavy toll on him, more so than he expected. His relationship with Felix was supposed to be a casual thing with an inevitable end. They both knew what they were getting into.

Then why did Hyunjin care so much?

He couldn't bring himself to return the hoodie that Felix had left at his apartment. Maybe it was because he wanted to keep it, maybe it was because he couldn't stand seeing Felix again. Hyunjin found himself rereading their texts and reminiscing on the times it used to be good.

The only thing that could take his mind off of Felix was dance. He had loved since he was young, and was lucky enough to make a career out of it. There was a competition coming up that would give him more opportunities to move up in the ranks, so there was less time to think about Felix. Hyunjin's days were filled with practicing and perfecting every move.

Today was no different. Music played in the background as he ran through the steps again, muscle memory doing half of the work. He counted the beats in the back of his mind. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2...

Felix would love this song.

Hyunjin stumbled over the next step and cursed himself. Maybe he had been lying to himself. No matter what he tried to immerse himself in, Felix always found a way to infect it. Hyunjin turned off the music and decided now was as good a time as any to take a break.

It was late and no one else was practicing tonight. There were a few days until they would travel to the competition, so the others were taking this time to rest.

He slouched against the wall and closed his eyes. Everything had felt too hectic lately, but he didn't have anyone to blame but himself. Things would be okay if he just got through this week. That's what he kept telling himself, anyway. He loved his work, but that was never the issue. It was all okay until he got home to his empty apartment.

The absence of Felix was one thing, but his inability to even want anyone else was even more frustrating. He prayed daily for the ability to hate Felix, to find someone new, to move on in any way. But each morning, he woke up and found that Felix wasn't lying next to him and broke his heart a little more each time.

Things would be much more manageable if Felix didn't occupy all his thoughts when Hyunjin dared take a break. He was a hopeless romantic at heart, so he could never stop his daydreams from eventually conquering ideas on how to get Felix back. Of course, these fantasies stayed in his mind. He was strictly against second-chance romance.

If he could just get through this week, it would be better.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Felix, similarly, was trying to keep it together. A pouted as he accidentally stumbled across an old polaroid from a party they had gone to in another lifetime. They looked so happy back then.