Chapter 6

It was a regular weekday morning. Jamie and Ellie were enjoying their breakfast at the kitchen table.

Jamie sipped on his orange juice, while Ellie ate her toast with jam. They chatted about their day ahead as their parents were upstairs getting ready for work.

After a brief moment of pause, Ellie looked at Jamie with a serious expression, "Hey, we need to talk.".

"What's up?" Jamie asked, a hint of concern in his voice.

"I've been thinking and it's really not fair for you to implicate Leo in your desire to wear diapers," Ellie said, her tone firm. "He's trying his best to get potty trained, and you need to encourage him because it will hold back if he's still in diapers when all his friends are potty trained."

Jamie felt a pang of guilt in his stomach. He knew that Ellie was right. He had been so focused on his own desires that he had forgotten about the impact on Leo. "I know, Ellie, you're right. I hadn't really considered it like that. I promise I'll make more of an effort to get him potty trained."

Ellie nodded, satisfied with his answer. "And you promise me you won't steal any more diapers?" she asked, her voice softening.

"Yes, I promise," Jamie replied, trying to assure his sister, but with a tint of sadness in her voice.

"Well done," Ellie said, patting him on the back in a patronising way. "But remember, I'm keeping an eye on you. No more stealing his stuff."

Just as they were finishing their conversation, their parents walked into the room.

Jamie felt his heart pounding in his chest as his parents walked into the kitchen.

He had been so absorbed in his conversation with Ellie that he hadn't heard them coming down the stairs. Now he was afraid that they had overheard everything and that his secret would be revealed.

His eyes darted towards Ellie, hoping she would keep her promise to keep his secret.

"Ellie. What's going on?" Jamie's mum asked, a curious expression on her face.

"Oh, hi," Ellie replied, trying to keep her composure. "I was just checking in on Jamie to see how he's doing."

Jamie gave Ellie a pleading look, silently begging her not to tell his parents the truth.

"What do you mean, checking in?" Jamie's dad asked, raising an eyebrow.

Ellie hesitated for a moment before responding, "Just asking him how things are going and making sure he's not getting into any trouble."

Jamie's mum looked at him sceptically. "Jamie, what's going on? Why are you looking at Ellie like that?"

"Uh, nothing, Mum," Jamie replied, his voice unconvincing. "We were just talking."

"That's right," she said quickly, "I was just asking how Jamie was, that's all."

Jamie's dad scrutinised her with his gaze. "It didn't sound like that to me. Is there something you're not telling us, Ellie?"

Ellie shook her head, attempting to present herself as genuine as possible."No, I promise. You're imagining things."

Their parents looked at each other, and Jamie could tell that they were still suspicious. Their mom turned to Ellie and said, "Are you sure that's all it was? You're not hiding anything from us, are you?"

"You better not be lying to us, Ellie." her Dad emphasised.

"I am not lying," she retorted. "Can you please drop it?"

Their dad then turned his attention towards Jamie, his stern gaze piercing through him. "And you better not be getting into any trouble, young man. Remember what I've told you before - if you act like a baby, you'll be treated like a baby."