Over the Shoulder

Over time, Alois kept getting more and more paranoid. He couldn't stop looking over his shoulder, and he always felt like he could again hear that sickening voice that haunted his childhood. Eventually, he zoned out and fell asleep on his desk, again falling prey to a nightmare. It was similar to the one he had the night before, and he actually only woke up from it because someone was knocking on the study door.

Alois jerked up from where he was, half slumped. "Come in." He said, voice miserable and tired. As he said it, Claude walked in, a shiny silver tray balanced on one arm. "Your Highness, we have Earl Grey tea and chocolate covered raspberries for a snack this afternoon." Alois just nodded, extremely distracted. He noticed Claude look over his shoulder. 

"....You sense it too, don't you?" The blonde said, suddenly. "His presence." After a moment, the spider demon nodded. "I do. And I don't like it at all." At that exact moment, lightning flashed in the sky behind the window, and Alois almost screamed as the lights flickered slightly as thunder angrily rolled across the grounds. He felt a bit comforted with Claude there, though, and started eating the berries Claude had brought him. After he finished it, he considered begging Claude not to go, but the demon already was gone. 

Alois continued his work, rubbing his eyes sleepily as he finished the last few papers. "Finally... I'm done." He muttered. He yawned again and checked the time, it was four thirty-three PM exactly. Claude would be making dinner in the kitchen. Alois let out a sigh and stood up, stretching and walking out of the room, quickly making his way down the hallway.  He hated this paranoia. The blonde went downstairs and sat down on a couch, beginning to read a book. Eventually, Claude came in, saying dinner was done. Alois went into the dining room and ate in complete silence.

"Claude?" He broke the silence with a tiny cough. "Yes?" Claude replied, his voice smooth. Of course he showed no emotion. Alois blinked at him. "I want you to stay in my room tonight. In my bed, with me. I'd feel safer." 

After a moment, Claude replied softly. "Of course, your Highness." The demon once again glanced over his shoulder, cleaning up the dinner dishes and leading the blonde upstairs. With nimble fingers, Claude changed Alois into a nightshirt. Alois crawled into bed, and Claude slipped in next to him.

Before either of them knew it, Alois was asleep. Claude lay awake next to the blonde, protecting Alois while he slept. The demon's suspicion grew until he started to hear a nagging voice in his mind.

"I'm not dead.

I'm coming back for him.

My little Alois."

|| A/N: I'M SORRY THIS IS SHORT I AM SO TIRED. The next few will hopefully be longer. ||