Chapter 10 Rosaline Trebleneck

9th of July, Saturday

-Zoey, what are you doing? Where are you going? -threw Ben spreading out his hands in concern. -Your dad specifically told you to wait for the driver to pick you up.

The girl was walking away from Amelia's house with crossed arms and frowned eyebrows. She was not willing to stop. Definitely not after what she'd heard. Or saw.

-Zoella! Come on!- the boy was following her. -I just wanna go home!

-Then go! I don't need you. - she pounded.

-Don't be ridiculous! It's not safe! It's already after midnight. -he accelerated his pace. -Zoey. -he raised eyebrows with a hand on her shoulder.

-Look. - she turned back to face the friend. -I don't care if you're gonna be late home or whatever. You do not have to be here, I'm fine.

-You're so not fine! - his voice became softer. -You're alone at night and you're hurting. It's dangerous.

-You know what was dangerous? Involving my little sister in this shit! -she uncrossed her arms and started gesticulating aggresively. -Now he probably has her somewhere... -she touched her head with tensed hands. -Uhhhh! Look... I need to make this up to her, okay? I owe it to her. -she was staring him dead in the eyes. - I need to find my little sister.

-Police is already on it. - tranqualized Ben, stroking her arms gently. -They are gonna do...

-Yeah, do what, exactly?! -Zoella took a step back. -Because all they ever do is fail! They failed with sentencing my grandparents, they failed with finding the creep and I'm not gonna let them fail again! Not when it comes to my Tamara. -she pursed her lips. -Someone needs to be the man here.

-Fuck. -grumbled Ben and joined her.

-She's somewhere close, I think. We just need to guess where would this psycho go with her. Or where she'd go if she escaped...

• • •

As the kids reassured themselves that the worst was behind them, the night had slightly different plans. It was nearing two o'clock when an all-encompassing silence prevailed around the usually cheerful Sunlow, which was impossible to escape. So the friends did not resist its mysterious charm, which had already absorbed a spark of a sin-tainted life. At this hour nothing could be done about it anymore, but only to go with the flow of the night, not to resist. They were walking down an alley that they all knew so well but something has changed about it, something was different. It wasn't yet the same peaceful road, but a path to endless questions and doubts about a stained future. The worst part? There was no other way home. For the rest of their lives in this neighbourhood they were going to have to think about that night, about that house and about that girl. Young, enchanting girl who has just experienced first-hand the proverb curiosity killed the cat. She was probably glad, in this story, she hadn't become the cat.

Three teenagers walked this very alley completely silently. Perhaps they were too afraid to annoy the night into giving them even worse trouble. Or perhaps there was nothing left to say because what happened spoke for itself. Either way, the group was approaching the house. Finally, all the frenzy things had come to an end, even this journey. They stopped before coming in and looked at each other.

-Do you need a ride home? -whispered Zoey sheepishly, standing in the treshold.

-Nah...-Ben looked around nervously. -I'm just glad you're safe. - he was still embracing Tamara, whom couldn't utter any word.

Zoella approached them blankly, directing the 13 year old towards the door. She glanced at the boy.

-Thank you. -her face concealed every emotion she should be feeling in this situation. When it comes to trauma people usually go into the fight or flight response, but this particular girl was just paralyzed. Her facial muscles seemed to be too overwhelmed to express anything.