~Chapter 2~

THAT NIGHT

Fewther curled up in her nest, other fighters near her. Her and about 30 other griffins huddled in a large cave in the mountain. She dreamed about her Pride. She tired herself out, foraging all day, while Nightwing ordered her to forage more. She picked mushrooms, pulled tendrils off their trees, and caught more prey then ever. She felt as if all they had done was forage, and as soon as the prey was on the mountaintop, it was gone. There were too many mouths too feed. She suddenly woke up, the sun filtering into her den. Fighters were already walking out, ready for the morning patrols. Feather stayed in her nest, unwilling to forage this morning. She thought she could join the scouting patrols. She stalked out of the den, yawning. She heard aggressive, high pitched squawks coming from the infirmary. She was about to trot over to see the commotion, but her leg sunk into the ground, and all in a cold blur, her whole body was under. Snow! She panicked, struggling out of the cold substance. Dust-storm stood above her, laughing. The large male-griff squawked with amusement. "Oh shut up you dumb piece of horse dung." She snapped, sitting up. "Whatever." Dust-storm replied, rolling his eyes. Feather shouldered him out of the way, pushing him off the mountain. He returned shortly after, giving her a menacing glare.

Feather made her way to the infirmary to hear more squeals. Heatherheart, the infirmer, greeted her. "Flower's just had her pups." Feather's eyes lit up. Her sister had just given birth! "May I see?" Heatherheart moved out of her way and Feather carefully walked in. Feather looked at the five pups crawling all over her sister.
"Have you thought of names?" Flower looked at Feather. "Well, this grey furred one will be Cinders, of course. And Midnight wanted to think of the two male-griff's names. They're black furred, just like him. I wanted you to name my other she-griff's." Feather looked at her sister, honored to have this privilege. "Hmm.." Feather looked at the two tan furred she-griffs. "What about Stormy and Ash?" Flower's eyes lit up. "Stormy and Ash. I love it!"

Feather's wingbeats rung in Jackdaw's ears. The young battler stayed close to his mentor, diving when she dove, soaring when she did. They cruised in the air for a while before coming upon a traveling herd of horses. Jackdaw was the first to spot them, alerting his mentor. They dove down, staying above the horses. Crow, Bramble, Gorse and Snowstorm came down with them, as they were in their scouting patrol too. "Looks like that herd Forest warned us about last full moon." Jackdaw gave Snowstorm a worried glance. "I thought he said they'd be gone in a few sunrises."
He said, his voice trembling. Feather nudged him. "Come on, you're a battler now, not a pup! You've got no sense bein' scared of some ponies." Jackdaw tried to listen to her. "But Winter said-" Feather cut him off. "All those nursery stories they tell you, They just aren't true Jackdaw! Come on, let's go back to the Pride and tell Nightwing."

As they flew back to the mountain, Feather fell back and hung with Crow and Snowstorm, leaving Bramble, Gorse, and Jackdaw to lead. Snowstorm opened her beak and turned to Feather. "You know, this isn't Jackdaw's tenth time out. He's only a battler still. You should be so hard on him." Feather opened her mouth to protest, but then stopped herself. "I guess you're right." Feather drew herself forwards. Jackdaw seemed nervous, straightening himself up and shaking himself off, getting rid of potential fear signs. Feather tucked him under her wing. Jackdaw relaxed a bit, and then Feather fell back again and nudged Jackdaw with her beak, letting him lead the rest of the scouting patrol. 

Feather returned to the mountaintop, a few tendrils in her claws. When she retruned, she dropped the tendrils and vines at the infirmary, and started to stalk back to her den when Honeysong stopped her. "Winter's came down with a broken leg! The vines won't be enough. I need you to find Twoleg wrap." Feather's eye's widened. Twoleg wrap?! That was nearly impossible to find. She wasn't up for the challenge, but she reluctantly nodded to the infirmer apprentice. She leaped off the mountain and flew as fast as possible.

Feather finally reached the Twoleg camp. Luckily, the Twolegs were gone, but their horses, dogs, and griff-pets were waiting for her. Two large male-griffs lazily slept in front of their tents, huge bowls half-full with dry-food. Feather noticed vines around their necks, and tall, sturdy pillars that had the Griff-pets chained up. Feather carefully peaked inside the tents, grabbing the small bandaging that the Twolegs had. She peaked in the last tent, and 3 Twolegs turned back with spears in hand. Feather reared up, desperately flapping her wings to try and get away. The Twolegs saddled up their Griff-pets and flew after her. Feather reached the mountaintop, screeching a battle warning. Fighters and battlers rushed to Feathers side. Feather ran down the mountain, desperate to find Honeysong. She called for the young griffin, Twoleg wrap in her claws. Honeysong eventually trotted over to her, frantically grabbing the Twoleg wrap. She nodded a thank you to Feather and rushed back to the crying Winter. More Twolegs we're running up the mountain with spears and horses, wolves and dogs. Feather soon realized that they were outnumbered.