THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: TRUST FALL

The concept of death had been one that had been in the background of Caleb's mind for years, so much so that the idea of himself dying didn't seem to scare him anymore

The concept of death had been one that had been in the background of Caleb's mind for years, so much so that the idea of himself dying didn't seem to scare him anymore. He had lost more people to the cruelty of the Grim Reaper than most at his age, and he had known the consequences of it at an early age.

He still remembered the first interaction he had ever had with Death, his cousin Arthur when they were both only five years old. Caleb couldn't remember much, but he did recall the cold room he stood in as he looked over the pale face of his first ever friend, not grasping the fact that he was never waking up again and that death was in fact a permanent thing.

His dog died when he was seven, which sounds so minuscule compared to everything else, but it was the first time he really understood what was happening. Caleb had cried, his dad had hugged him, wiped his tears away and told him jokes until he smiled again, but grief still struck him and plagued his mind for days after.

Then his dad left only a month later, and he didn't die but it almost felt as if he did, and sometimes Caleb wished that he had.

Caleb had lost all of his grandparents between the ages of seven and twelve, each loss effecting him less every single time, almost as if he had become desensitized to it all. He missed them but he didn't have the time to mourn each of them equally. It was scary how fast his family had fallen to only him, his mom and his aunt Carla.

Then it was his mom, which was the first time he has truly felt as if he had lost everything. Caleb knew it was coming, they had prepared him for it, but nothing really could have made him ready for the day it actually came. He only remembered small pieces, but he couldn't forget the feeling of her body stilling underneath him and the realization that he had just lost her forever.

By now Caleb had accepted death as a natural part of life, finally understanding that it just had to happen and there was nothing he could do to ever prevent it. He didn't want to die young and definitely didn't want to anytime soon, but he knew he would accept it when the time came.