NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN: TAKE CARE

Hours passed, so much so that Homecoming had already ended and Caleb had walked home alone, calling Peter's phone the entire way home but not getting an answer

Hours passed, so much so that Homecoming had already ended and Caleb had walked home alone, calling Peter's phone the entire way home but not getting an answer. His gut told him that something was wrong, but there was nothing he could do about it even if it had, and he honestly felt pretty helpless.

He went home after the dance, and the apartment was cold and empty because Christine was working the night shift. Caleb got out of his suit, throwing on his pajama pants and the sweatshirt he had taken from Peter the last time he was at his home, a sense of dread in his stomach.

Caleb stayed alone in his bedroom, anxiously fidgeting with his hand as the other scrolled through his phone in attempt of a distraction; it didn't really work anyway. All of his classmates were posting photos of themselves at the dance, with stupid captions that barely made sense to him.

Down the street, Peter was walking (more like limping) slowly on the sidewalk, his figure hidden by the dim streetlights. He bit his bottom lip, wincing with each small step forward that he took; usually he was fine after fights, but this time was different.

He had a healing factor, he had figured that out pretty quickly after his first injury as Spider-Man, but this time it was seemingly taking a while to kick in. Peter whimpered softly, thankful that it was disguised by the sounds of cars on the street down another block.

Eventually, a weak and shaky hand grasped at the bottom of the window pane of the apartment building, a small gasp of pain escaping, disguised by the sounds of the night. Peter winced, barely managing to lift the window up fully. "Caleb?" he called weakly, pushing through the closed curtain.

Caleb was up within a second, both of his hands reaching forward to hold onto Peter, who was struggling to stand properly. "Jesus Peter,"he stated with concern, guiding him out of the cold and into his bedroom. "What happened?" he asked, a hand on his back.