PROPHECY

As Jane approached the mansion that harbored The Liberation Sisterhood, she was greeted by its captivating presence. Standing tall, the mansion boasted a two-story structure adorned with intricate carvings and earthy-colored walls. The pathway to the entrance and the entire surroundings were adorned with small palm trees and flowers meticulously trimmed. The glass windows, as usual, were sparkling clean. Overall, the mansion exuded prestige.
     Jane walked into the opulent mansion and once again, she couldn’t help but marvel at the wonderful sight. With sumptuous furniture and an expensive chandelier, the grand room radiated a captivating allure. The walls were decorated with paintings of great feminists such as Mary Wollstonecraft, Sojourner Truth, Bell Hooks, Gloria Steinem and Malala Yousafzai. The grand room was adorned with huge couches and sofas, a fireplace and a book shelf that harbored hundreds of books on feminism, history and personal development.
     The dining area hosted a center table that had a huge vase of flower on it and glass of red wine. The rich wine cellar was just opposite the table. The interior of the mansion was literally a history lesson.
     Walking down the stairs, Mary Idubor expressed, “In October 2012, Malala Yousafzai was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman. The attack was a response to her advocacy for girls’ education in Pakistan.” She stopped for a while, faced the painting of Malala, and continued, “Miraculously, she survived and became an even more prominent figure. What lesson did you learn from that story, Jane?”
     Jane sighed and asked, “How many times am I going to answer that?”
     Mary walked to the wine cellar, filled a glass with red wine, took a sip, and said, “The more they try to stop us, the more we multiply.” Jane took a seat at the table and sighed.
“How are you doing, my child?” Mary asked.
“Stressed, tired, weak… I don’t know,” Jane answered.
“For the cause, we cannot stop till its done. Men need to pay; they ruled the earth for centuries and all they caused was violence. The World War, Cold War, and multiple destructions are only but a few of the despicable acts instigated by that evil gender. For years, they oppressed women; made them feel low and killed their dreams. But no, The Liberation Sisterhood won’t let that happen again. We will make sure they suffer for all the injustices they’ve caused women, and we cannot rest till our plan comes to reality. I don’t mind if I die in the process,” Mary said.
“You called for me. Why?” Jane inquired.
“Daughter, I’ve not been at peace for a while. I really don’t know, but I feel something terrible is coming. I can sense revenge, pain, and betrayal,” Mary uttered.
“Maybe it’s just one of those random feelings,” Jane said.
“I doubt. I’ve been having nightmares of different people screaming for help, and The Sisterhood unable to do anything about it. I really don’t know, but I feel we’re about to be betrayed soon,” Mary refuted.
“And who could the betrayer be? I mean, who would betray a society that helped them recover from pain?” Jane queried.
“Daughter, I cannot say for certain, but-” Mary said.
“Why are you telling me this? Isn’t The Sisterhood supposed to hear about this first?” Jane interrupted.
“Jane, you’re the only one I trust. While the others have been faithful to the cause, I doubt if I can confide in them,” Mary responded.
“You talk as if your right hand, Esosa, isn’t trustworthy,” Jane scoffed.
Mary took another sip of her glass and said, “Esosa has a hard heart. Telling her will trigger an investigation in The Sisterhood,” Mary uttered.
“When we reach that bridge, we will cross it,” Jane assured.
“Absolutely. Daughter, I was told you were with a man this evening. Who is he?” Mary inquired.
Jane walked to the wine cellar, filled a glass with wine, took a sip, and counter-questioned, “Are you watching me now?”
“Jane, The Sisterhood is everywhere; you don’t expect me to not know your actions,” Mary responded.
“Just a random guy. He approached me in a restaurant today. Guess he has been stalking me for quite some time,” Jane explained.
“Jobless folk,” Mary placed her left hand on Jane’s shoulder. “Daughter, remember you made a vow,” she added.
“I know,” Jane said.
“They offer nothing but pain, sorrow, and regret. Need I remind you about Chris?” Mary queried.
    Jane dropped the glass and walked to the exit.
    “Goodnight,” Mary bade her farewell.
    Jane closed the door and drove home.

     Popularly known as Mother Liberation, Mary Idubor, was a woman in her early fifties. She was the founder of The Liberation Sisterhood. This was a response to the abuse she experienced in her second marriage.
     Though, medically termed as “infertile, Mary was a mother-figure to many young women who drove the agenda of gender equality and feminism across Nigeria. She was a political aspirant, teacher and a very wealthy woman. Her influence and power was reverred globally.
     Mary helped women understood the power of solidarity and how to enjoy happiness as loners. She was powerful and highly feared.

     Jane reached her house, took a deep sigh before walking out of her car.
     The exterior of her four-bedroom duplex was painted in cream to help deflect heat from the sun. The entrance to her plot had an automatic gate that could sense the motion of her vehicle. Her porch was adorned with potted plants; reflecting her love for plants. The large windows with security bars allowed ventilation and natural light. The surrounding compound was landscaped by tropical plants and shrubs. Conclusively, the exterior of her building screamed luxury.
     She walked in with her purse and took a seat on her dining area.
     Her living room was bathed in soft, warm light that filtered through the sheer curtains, creating a cozy atmosphere. The ground was decorated with dark tiles while the walls were adorned with artefacts of various kinds; many of which reflected the pain women went through in the past. Her home theater hosted various sound systems and of course, a large-screen television. With three huge couches surrounding the three corners of the house and a huge table at the center of the room, Jane was living the life.
     She walked to her wine cellar, filled a glass cup with red wine and reclined on a couch just opposite the television.
     As she took a sip of her glass of wine, a feeling of loneliness washed over her. She thought about Chris and how he left her emotionally scarred. She thought about how she had not made contact with her family in three years, she thought about her house and how lonely it was. She thought about the possibility of repealing loneliness but she quickly dismissed the thought.
     Just when she was about to take another sip of her wine, her vision became blurry. Her glass fell from her hand and she smashed her head on the arm of her couch.