SECRETS

A week had passed since Jane reconciled with her family. Leaving The Sisterhood and with Mother Liberation’s intervention, Jane felt assured of a new life ahead.
     Jeremiah’s long-term friend and coursemate, Chimezie, had recently launched his new exclusive restaurant in downtown. As a close friend, Chimezie extended two invitations to Jeremiah for the grand opening. With thoughts of Jane on his mind, Jeremiah reached for his phone and dialed her number.
     “Good evening. How are you doing?” Jane greeted Jeremiah warmly.
“Hey, good evening. I’m doing great,” Jeremiah replied.
“In that case, have you eaten?” Jane asked soothingly.
“Now, you’re just talking like those newbies who don’t know what to say over the phone,” Jeremiah teased.
“What did you expect? It’s not as if I was the one who called,” Jane responded playfully.
“I’ve got two invites here,” Jeremiah explained.
“Hmm… For what?” Jane inquired curiously.
“My friend just opened his restaurant recently and he wants me to be amongst his first customers,” Jeremiah replied.
“That’s good. You said you got two invites. Is it an exclusive restaurant?” Jane asked.
“Apparently. Would you go with me?” Jeremiah asked.
“Yeah, of course. When?” Jane asked.
“Tuesday evening,” Jeremiah answered.
“Let me check my schedule…. Okay, I’ll be there,” Jane consented.
“Cool. I’ll pick you up then,” Jeremiah said.
“Any other thing you want to tell me?” Jane inquired.
“Your voice always sounds so good in the evenings,” Jeremiah complimented.
“Doctor, goodnight,” Jane bade farewell.
“Goodnight, princess,” Jeremiah dropped the call.
     Jeremiah laid on his bed and closed his eyes. He was driven to slumber by thoughts of how everything was going on too well. He wasn’t accustomed to this kind of life, and he felt something was going to go wrong soon. He quickly dismissed this thought by assuring himself that God was in control.

     On Tuesday evening, Jeremiah decided to do things differently; he dressed in a neatly sewed white kaftan and drove to Jane’s house. He parked his car just outside Jane’s gate and gave her a call.
     “Hey, good evening. I’m waiting for you outside,” Jeremiah explained.
“Open the gate and come in. Its not locked,” Jane invited.
     Jeremiah ended the call and found his way to Jane’s house. He took his seat on a couch and was dazzled when he saw her.
     Crafted from a flowing, soft fabric that gently hugged the curves of Jane’s body, Jane’s white gown exuded charm.
     Jane turned her back on Jeremiah and requested, “Please, help zip my gown.”
     Jeremiah rose from his sitting position to tend to Jane’s request. He was gently pulling the zipper from her back to her neckline when he caught sight of a tattoo that bore a striking resemblance to an abbreviation, “LS”. He halted for a while to get a proper glimpse of the body art.
     He was jolted back to reality when Jane asked, “How long will it take to just zip a dress?”
“Oh sorry,” Jeremiah apologized, pulling the zipper to Jane’s neckline.
     Jane took her white purse that was seated on her couch and faced Jeremiah.
     “So, where to, my king?” Jane inquired.
     Jeremiah extended his right hand and said, “Luxury.”
     Jane got a hold of his arm and they both walked outside. Reclining in Jeremiah’s car, Jeremiah started the engine.
     Arriving at the restaurant, Jeremiah showed the invites to the security at the entrance.
     “You can go in now. Thanks for honoring our invitation,” the security welcomed.
“Thank you,” Jeremiah expressed his gratitude and walked in with Jane.
     As they stepped into the lavish restaurant, they were greeted by an opulent ambiance. The interior was adorned with rich African art, intricate wood carvings and vibrant tapestries that adorned the walls, showcasing Nigeria’s diverse heritage. Dimmed light cast a warm glow, adding a touch of radiance to the environment. The tables were beautifully dressed with crisp white linens and fine silverware. Soft jazz music played in the background, providing a melodious backdrop to their romantic evening. The scent of rich delicacies created an inviting atmosphere.
          Chimezie caught sight of Jeremiah, walked to him, and exclaimed, “Would you look at that? Today must be my birthday.”
“If it isn’t the married man. What happened to you?” Jeremiah gracefully hugged Chimezie. “You look so plump now,” Jeremiah teased.
“I stopped eating foods cooked by bachelors,” Chimezie explained. “Pardon my manners. Who is this beautiful princess?” Chimezie faced Jane.
“Oh… This is Jane Omoruyi,” Jeremiah introduced Chimezie to Jane. “Jane, this is Chimezie, my rich friend,” Jeremiah introduced Jane to Chimezie.
Jane extended her hand to Chimezie and said, “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
“The pleasure is mine,” Chimezie reciprocated with a handshake.
“Can’t believe we’re wearing the same outfit, Jerry. Told you we’re connected,” Chimezie retorted. “Well, I’ll leave you both to it. Enjoy your evening,” Chimezie walked to the exit.
“Jerry? That’s new,” Jane muffled.
“Don’t you dare call me that name,” Jeremiah whispered.
     Jane chuckled. They walked to the VIP section that harbored their table and took their seats. Jeremiah took the menu and exclaimed, “Whoa! This restaurant is expensive. Can’t believe Chi made everything free for us. Such a nice guy.”
Jane held the little bell on the table and said, “Oh, there’s a bell.” She rang it, and a waiter appeared.
“Good evening, sir and ma. How may I help you?” the well-dressed waiter asked.
“Evening. I need the caviar and a bottle of orange juice,” Jane requested.
“What about you, sir?” the waiter inquired.
“I really want to get the pounded yam and egusi, but for the culture, I’ll just take the risotto and a bottle of water. Whatever that is,” Jeremiah retorted.
“Noted, sir,” the waiter took their orders and left.
“You mean you haven’t had risotto before?” Jane whispered.
“Madam, I haven’t tasted anything here before,” Jeremiah said.
“Village man,” Jane retorted.
A few minutes later, the waiter returned with their orders, and Jeremiah tipped her. Both personalities indulged in their meals.
“I’m eating nonsense,” Jeremiah expressed.
“You can taste mine,” Jane offered.
“That fish? No, thank you,” Jeremiah rejected.
Jane tasted Jeremiah’s risotto and remarked, “It actually tastes good.”
They finished eating, and Jeremiah rang the bell. Another waiter arrived.
“Greetings, sir. What’s your order?” the waiter inquired.
“Greetings. Please give me package 204,” Jeremiah responded.
“Will be back shortly,” the waiter walked away.
“What’s package 204? You want to still eat more?” Jane asked.
“Eat? I’m praying the nonsense I just ate doesn’t have a negative effect on me.”
     Jane raised her eyebrows in curiosity. A staff member came up and cleaned their table, and the waiter returned with a cake afterward.
     Jane was overjoyed as she gazed at the multilayered, decadent chocolate cake embellished with colorful sprinkles and edible flowers. At the top, a heartfelt message read, “Jane, would you be my partner?” Tears streamed down her cheeks as she had been eagerly anticipating this question for months.
She quickly rose from her seat and hugged Jeremiah, who was also on his feet.
“Yes! Yes! Yes! Even in the next life,” she cried.
     As Jeremiah led her to the rooftop, her eyes were captivated by the breathtaking colors of the vast cityscape. Filled with immense joy, she spun around the rooftop and then embraced Jeremiah, showering him with a deep, affectionate kiss. In that moment, she hadn’t felt such happiness in years.
     They laid on the rooftop for over two hours; just admiring the beauty of the bustling metropolis.
     After dropping Jane off at her home, Jeremiah drove back with a heart filled with joy, knowing he was prepared for the next chapter in his life.

     As he entered his living room and turned on the lights, Jeremiah was surprised to find Mother Liberation sitting at his dining table. She wore a blue cloak, held a glass of blackcurrant juice, and kept her purse nearby.
    “Doctor, how are you doing?” Mary inquired.
“Who are you? How did you get into my house?” Jeremiah asked with a stern look.
“I can’t answer your questions if you’re on your feet,” Mary explained. “Have a seat, doctor,” Jane patted a dining chair.
“Get out of my apartment right now or else, I’ll call the police and sue you for trespassing,” Jeremiah threatened.
“Jeremiah, there’s a nine-millimeter gun in my purse. Any attempt to make contact with the police will get you a bullet in your right leg and if you’re lucky enough, you won’t bleed to death before your new girlfriend comes to save you,” Mary explained. “Also, my daughters are fully armed and are in every facet of your building. If I don’t come out in the next ten minutes, they’ll come kill you. So, sit,” Mary added.
Jeremiah hesitantly took a seat at the dining area and asked, “What do you want?”
“I mean you no harm. I’m just doing this for the sake of my daughter, Jane,” Mary answered.
“I know her mom and she’s definitely not you,” Jeremiah uttered.
“Men, you all never cease to amaze me. Has she told you yet?” Mary asked.
“What?” Jeremiah counter-questioned.
“Oh, she hasn’t. Have you ever wondered why your girlfriend’s house is saturated with paintings of feminists? Or why she doesn’t have a male friend?” Mary questioned.
Jeremiah moved his head.
“Well, your girlfriend was a member of The Liberation Sisterhood before she met you,” Mary said.
“What? What’s The Liberation Sisterhood?” Jeremiah asked with a curious look.
“Some call us a cult, others a group of women, but the truth is, we’re an elite society of women pushing towards a common goal: to see women in control,” Mary responded. “Put it this way, we empower women and make men suffer for their crimes,” Mary added.
“You’re saying Jane was a punisher? And a killer?” Jeremiah questioned.
“Nah, your girlfriend hasn’t killed anyone before. She’s too weak for that,” Mary sipped her juice. “A few years ago, she was depressed and almost at the brink of suicide. She got in contact with a friend who referred her to an underground therapy practice. The therapist there was one of my daughters and she saw potential in Jane. Jane opted to join, and The Sisterhood made her the woman she was before she met you,” Mary continued.
“Must have been really hard for her. But what’s the proof to validate the credibility of your statement?” Jeremiah asked.
“I believe you must have seen a tattoo on her back. It displays an abbreviation, ‘LS.’ I have one too. I’m here because Jane is too afraid to tell you. She’s no longer a member now. She left because of you. I don’t know what you did to my daughter, but I’m glad she’s happy,” Mary stood up. “Doctor, you’ve been on our radar since you approached Jane. We know everything about you, and trust me, we mean you no harm. Take care of my daughter, would you?” Mary took her purse.
“I will,” Jeremiah assured.
“I assured Jane that she has our full support and protection, but you have to do your own lot- my reach is limited. Jeremiah, this conversation never happened,” Mary walked to the door.
“If you don’t kill men, then why do you have a gun?” Jeremiah asked.
“There are times, son… There are times,” Mary exited the building.
     Jeremiah rubbed his right hand on his hair and mused, “What just happened?”