Chapter 14

"Alhaitham... Rejected my proposal?!" The words burst forth from your lips like a tempest as you stared at the letter from the Grand Sage office, a mix of disbelief and anger surging within you. The letter, bearing a conspicuous red mark at the top, bluntly announced the rejection of your meticulously crafted research proposal for your final thesis.

"But I made it all spotless. Perfect. I made sure I didn't miss anything!" Your frustration found an outlet in your ranting, the injustice of the situation fueling your fiery words.

"Ah... Maybe Alhaitham—" Nahida's voice interjected, a soothing attempt to quell your rising emotions.

"No way I made a mistake. He'll see." Determination solidified your stance as you gathered your papers, your steps resolute as you marched toward Alhaitham's office.

Outside his door, a long queue of anxious students from the Akademiya, all bearing the weight of rejected final theses, painted a picture of shared disappointment. Their surprised expressions upon seeing you there spoke volumes.

"Miss Y/n, you don't have to fall in line. You can go inside," they offered, acknowledging your unique status.

"No, it's okay." A gracious smile accompanied your response as you chose to wait your turn, a picture of composure amid the chaos.

Impatience and frustration gnawed at you as you reviewed your meticulously prepared papers over and over, each passing moment an eternity. Finally, your turn arrived. Without hesitating, you entered Alhaitham's office, intent on seeking answers.

"Alhaitham," your voice called out, charged with a mix of emotions. The other scholars gathered around were silent observers of this unfolding scene.

"Yes, that's my name," his reply was measured, masking his thoughts.

"How come my research papers got denied? I made sure that everything was perfect. My proposal is like a whole research paper itself." You exhibited the evidence of your effort, your paper in hand.

"You missed something," his tone remained cool, detached.

"Missed? I'm sure I didn't miss anything. It's spotless. I stayed up all day and night for that paper and you just rejected it!"

"I'm telling you, you missed something."

"Not because you're the Grand Sage—" your words grew defiant, challenging his authority.

"Come here, I'll show you," his offer came unexpectedly, redirecting the conversation.

Compelled by curiosity, you approached his desk, eyes fixated on the paper he pointed at.

"You see this?" His finger directed your attention. "Look closer. You see?"

Leaning in, you were met with an unforeseen gesture—a kiss. The unexpected touch caused you to step back, but his grip on your neck pulled you into another kiss, a surprising mixture of intimacy and authority.

As the kiss concluded, Alhaitham seized the moment, stamping your proposal with an "approved" seal.

"You missed the part where you need to kiss me. I haven't seen you in two weeks, my love!" Alhaitham's complaint held a touch of playfulness, a hidden reason behind the seemingly arbitrary act.

"That's it?!" Your incredulous response hung in the air.

"You're so busy... You forgot about me," his sulking voice revealed a vulnerability rarely seen.

"So I decided to reject your paper to make you come and see me."

"Alhaitham?! Not because you're the Grand Sage!"