Definitely Not a Date

"Stop moping." A sock is thrown at her head.

"Hey!" Yunjin exclaims, hurling it back to a smug-looking Kazuha. "I'm not moping."

Kazuha dodges it and rolls her eyes. "Dude. You've been emo-ing it up in here for far too long since you saw Chaewon get asked out officially."

Yunjin winces at the reminder. "It's only been two days," she mutters. The image of Chaewon entering a relationship with the footballer still terrorizes her.

"Exactly! Two days is enough," Kazuha scolds.

"I've liked her for so long..."

Kazuha's expression softens. "I know you have," she says, scooting closer to Yunjin on her bed.

"I just don't get it," Yunjin complains, more to herself than anything. "I really thought she wouldn't date him."

Kazuha reels back. "Why'd you think that?"

Yunjin sighs. "I thought she didn't seem totally into it whenever she'd talk about him. Guess I was wrong though." She buries her head in her hands. So much for wishful thinking .

Her best friend rubs her back comfortingly. "Maybe she had a change of heart," she reasons.

Yunjin lays on her side to face Kazuha. "Am I destined to be alone forever?"

Kazuha smacks her. "Don't be so dramatic. You're just a lesbian who fell into the trap of liking a straight girl." Yunjin groans, unable to argue with that fact.

"How's that song you have to write going by the way?" Kazuha asks in an attempt to steer the topic from any Chaewon-related feelings.

It fails.

"Awful," Yunjin whines. "I've barely done anything, and the only time I can get even semi motivated is when I'm thinking about Chaewon, so it's all depressing as shit."

"You could use that," Kazuha points out. It's not like she's wrong. Yunjin feels weird about it, though. She tells Kazuha as much.

"She's singing it," she explains to her friend. "Can you imagine me making her sing a song I wrote about her and she doesn't even know it? We're also friends now, so there's that," she adds as an afterthought.

Kazuha frowns. "Quite the predicament you've got yourself into, friend."

Yunjin waves her hand in the air. "I'll get over it." I hope so.

Later that evening, Yunjin is playing with her synth patch, searching for any burst of creativity. She closes her eyes in frustration. Once again, Chaewon is clouding any productive part of her brain. It's ridiculous, and she's well aware of it. The brunette girl is most likely off with her boyfriend, going to places and eating food her and Chaewon talked about in the letters, and god knows what else.

The letters.

Yunjin can't help but be swamped with regret. After all, it was technically her that formed this couple. She recalls the situation. She had been so insistent that she was doing Chaewon a favor that she had ignored her own feelings. Now she had an aching heart to show for it.

Without even realizing, Yunjin's fingers had started playing a melody of their own. She's still cursing those stupid letters to even realize she's come up with an entire chord progression. This continues for nearly another minute before her brain catches up with the rest of her body. Wait.

Bursting with excitement, Yunjin quickly reaches for some paper before scribbling down the chords. Over the next few hours, she plans out the melodic vocal line, adding random lyrics here and there. Happy with her progression, she instinctively moves to let Chaewon know, uncaring that it's 11pm and the other girl is most likely asleep.