Chapter 7: Melbourne (again)

Alright, so my exams are done which means apart from work, I have a shit load of free time. That means that finally, I get to focus on my stories (idk if that's good or bad with you). So, on that note, I really hope you at least crack a half smile through this.

Rain hit against the glass and I sighed; this hotel room was shit.

Melbourne had always been famous for its four seasons in one day, and today wasn't an exception. Tossing my overnight bag on the bed, I followed in my luggage's footsteps and flopped on the mattress. The mattress was disgusting also.

The only positive was that this was only going to be for one night. When the actual awards show was taking place, I would be staying somewhere a hell of a lot better than this- presumably at the same hotel as the guests so I could listen out to how it went when they stumbled back at four a.m. . Would they like the table decorations, or would they be too out of it to even notice?

I sighed and knew that my boss had been responsible for booking the worst hotel room she could find. I'd never even heard of the place before we had arrived, so it wasn't a surprise that my room smelt of stale cigarette smoke. I had even given it a quick search on Tripadvisor at the airport and, already knew of our fate. Serves me right for agreeing to do late night shifts instead of Googling the accommodation like I usually did.

Stu, my colleague come all round friend, and I had asked to share room, but remarkably we'd been given two separate ones. I would never want to make a bet on who had fucked up that part of their job too...

Laying back on the concrete...I mean bed, I made the huge mistake of looking up at the ceiling. It was yellow and I was now on the verge of calling the Human Rights lawyers. This was beyond grim. If the discolouration everywhere wasn't bad enough, wallpaper peeled off the wall opposite and the light suspended above was covered in cobwebs, making it even darker in the room. Well, either that or it needed a new bulb, too.

For the want to keep my lunch down that I had eaten on the plane, I got up again and walked over to the window. At least this place had one of those, that was definitely worth the two-hundred Aussie dollars that had disappeared from my pay packet. Ah yes, I was playing for a night in hell too. Supposedly the company could only afford to pay for the flight now.

I briefly inspected the bathroom and made a mental note not to drink anything after we'd been out for a meal that night. I was going to be taking my toothbrush out with me too. I was going to risk smelling like the hotel room the next morning because I was not setting foot in there, even if I aquired food poisoning from the restaurant that the boss had recommended. Guaranteed that she was loving every single bloody second of this. The absolute cu-

"Bronte, I think something has died and then rotted in my room..." Stu banged on the door and I was truly mystified that the object didn't collapse and/ or disintegrate. "Either that or someone has shat in the corner and left it to fester..."

I opened the door after twisting the handle several times. It was very wobbly." Stu, mine is just as bad and...why aren't you dressed?"

I looked at Stu standing in front of me with just a towel around his middle to protect what little dignity he had left. If the hotel did have cleaners then no doubt they would have had a bit of an early birthday present. I certainly did.

"I was gonna get in the shower, but then I saw the bathroom, screamed, and hoped yours would be a bit better."

"It's not," I sighed and let him in before he got arrested for public indecency. I didn't want another incident with the cops. "So, are you planning on checking out the venue out like that or?"

Stuart blushed and walked up to the window, using one hand to scratch his forehead. Towel. Nearly. Slipped.

"Good view." he laughed, clinging onto the off-white fabric which was held up just below his initial v-lines. This guy spent far too long accidentally working out at the beach.