Press Forward

Our month without Selena goes by faster than I thought it would. At first it seems easier having Justin in one house all the time. I know he likes not having to move his clothes around. But on his days off he's basically stuck in the house unless he wants to go out alone and I realize that being able to move between houses might be nice for him.

Of course if he's off on one of my days he can do whatever he wants since I'm in school all day. It takes me almost the whole month to get used to my new school but once I know the system I love it. You might think with the flexible schedule some kids save all the classes they hate for last but after sitting through a full Friday of math lessons one time I see that it's much better to split them up.

And though I'd been scared the kids were just being nice on our tour because the principal was walking around with us, I learn right away that they're actually just that nice. There are still cliques like at every other school and I know I'll never be sitting with the popular kids but that's no different from back home. Unlike back home though I know I could walk up to the most popular girl at school and ask a question about our homework without having her laugh as soon as I turn my back.

I'm used to not really having close friends at school so it's almost hard for me when I do make friends pretty fast. And even harder after lunch on my second day when one of the girls sees my phone.

"He's so hot," Casey says, picking up my phone to look at the picture of Justin I've set as my wallpaper.

"You like Justin Bieber?" Katie narrows her eyes at me.

"Yeah, he's amazing," I'm starting to panic. They'll never guess, I know that, but what if I slip up and say something I couldn't have learned from the internet?

"What's your favorite song?" Katie demands.

"Uh, all of them?" I really want to say the one he sang for me this morning but that's obviously not going to be the right answer.

"Hmph," Katie crosses her arms.

"I don't recognize this picture," Casey is studying my phone. "Did he tweet that?"

"I found it on We Heart It," I lie and hope it sounds convincing.

"Ugh I love his tattoos," Katie peeks at the picture.

"I wish he'd stop," I shake my head. It's not a commandment, but we're not supposed to modify our bodies at all. Even just dying your hair is seen as rebellious. Then I see the way Katie and Casey are looking at me. "Um, I mean, it makes him happy so I support him but like, I just don't want him to be covered or anything."

"I so agree," Casey nods and hands my phone back.

After that conversation my friends are convinced I'm a Belieber and I realize that's probably a good way to explain things like why I have so many pictures of him on my phone so I just let them think that. So in addition to doing my homework now I have to keep up with whatever Justin's doing so I can keep up with the conversation at school.