Fangirl

It's the first time since I started school that I really and truly don't want to go. But since I missed a whole week being sick I don't have a choice. I drag myself out of bed and make sure I don't show up until the last possible minute.

All day I do whatever I can to avoid my friends but at lunch I have no choice. I have to eat and I have to see them. When they come rushing over I realize they don't even know I'm furious with them.

"Guess what!" Casey's so excited she claps her hands.

"What?" I don't even look at Katie.

"Ethan and I talked to my parents," she takes a big breath. "And they said you could share our graduation party!"

"Oh no," I can't even pretend to be happy about this. I have to think up a good lie and fast.

"What?" Casey sinks into the chair next to me. "I thought you'd be excited, you told Ethan you wished your parents would throw you a party."

"I can't steal your party," I shake my head. "And I actually can't even come."

"But you said like a month ago you would be there!" Casey's getting all red.

"My parents surprised me last night," I tell her. "They're taking me to Utah as a present that weekend."

"Oh," Casey slumps in her chair. "That sucks."

"I mean, I'm excited, but I'm sad I'll miss the party," I say.

"But you'll see your boyfriend," Katie says.

"Yeah, I will," I nod. "He was pretty mad about what you put on that picture of me and Ethan, by the way."

"Sorry, it's not like he even says he's your boyfriend on there," Katie doesn't seem to care.

"Whatever," I shrug.

"Seriously there are no pictures of you two," Katie sits down next to Casey. "It's weird."

"Yeah, so he doesn't want his whole life on the internet," I knew this would come up eventually. "He's worried about looking good for college and stuff."

"He seems boring," Casey makes a face.

"He's amazing," I push my chair back. "I can't even tell you how lucky I am to have him, seriously, he's like everything to me," I don't want to run off but I really don't want to keep talking to them.

"You know, Ethan's pretty awesome too," Casey's gotten all quiet. "I know you think your boyfriend is perfect and wonderful but my brother could have been like that for you too if you'd even given him a chance."

"I believe you," I sigh. "Some other girl would be lucky to have him, but I'm taken, Casey. It's not fair for you to keep trying to push him on me."