iii. Red Metal Can

iii. red metal can

SUNDAY SERVICE CREPT upon his family once again

SUNDAY SERVICE CREPT upon his family once again. Miles sat in the same pew as last week, sporting a bruise under his shirt from his last fight with Archnae. He winced as he felt his mother's touch on his waist.

"Oh, Isabella!" Rio said in an excited whisper.

  Mile glanced at the pew in front of them. Isabella stood there, draped in a white fabric once again. A rosary rested around her neck, as well as a necklace with the letter D. She looked even more beautiful than last week. Miles could trace the hymns along her body, taking in her curves through the fabric of her dress.

"Hello, Mrs. Morales," the girl said, a gentle smile on her lips. If it was unholy to look at Isabella like this, than he was going straight to Hell. Miles knew of dozens of pretty girls, but Isabella was different. "Hello, Miles."

  Her accent dripped from her tongue as she said his name. Her lips moved in an almost hypnotic way. Miles wanted to trace them with his tongue, whispering his prayers at her alter. "Hey, Isabella." Her name on his tongue caused a singular shiver down his spine.

  The girl was what God felt like. This is what his mother said over and over again. Someone who felt like faith. Isabella made him feel like praying.

  Rio looked around, frowning. Her hands made their way to Isabella's face, moving God's face to inspect it. "Is your uncle here with you today?" Isabella's face was unreadable, but her eyes weren't.

Isabella shook her head, fingers playing with the D necklace around her neck. "He is a officer. He is typically very busy." Miles felt something in his chest fall and splatter on the ground. Her uncle was a cop? Just like his father. Did he die in the accident? "We have supper together often though, so we exchange prayer then."

Rio's expression matched Isabella's. It was devastating, and Miles had the feeling his mother was plotting something. Isabella had this broken English that reminded him of how his mother spoke sometimes. Especially when she was frustrated. "Would you like to come for dinner? With your uncle?"