epilogue -first day

Come on, we're gonna be late!" Phoebe yelled for her brother from the front door. She looked over herself one more in the small mirror hanging on the wall, fluffing her hair and touching up her lip gloss. She usually didn't wear makeup like this on a daily basis, but decided to have some fun for her first last day of school. 

"Okay, jeez. I'm ready." Dustin sighed as he rounded the corner into the kitchen. Phoebe held out their mother's polaroid camera and cleared her throat. "Seriously?" he deadpanned. 

"Yes, seriously. Mom wants first day of school pics and we're not doing them later. I have gym today, it'll mess up my hair." 

"Fine." He took the camera and positioned it as Phoebe struck a pose. She examined it after it printed and developed, making him take a second one. "You're gonna use all the film."

"Oh, shut up. Your turn." They switched places and Dustin put on his signature toothless grin. Phoebe hung them on the fridge with a magnet, Dustin made himself a piece of toast, and a car honked outside. "Let's go."

"You really couldn't drive yourself to your first day of school?" Dustin sassed as he locked the door behind them. 

"Knock it off. He offered."

"Uh-huh, sure." They both climbed into the familiar maroon car as Steve turned down the music. 

"Morning, Henderson's."

"Morning." Phoebe said cheerfully before leaning over and placing a quick, soft kiss on Steve's lips.

"Come on, I don't need to be sick on the first day." Dustin whined. 

"Ignore him, he's extra crabby today." Phoebe stated as she leaned back into the passenger seat. 

"You're not nervous, are you, dude?" Steve asked, half joking. 

"Please. High school's gonna be a cakewalk." Dustin replied confidently. The drive to the high school had been mostly quiet, until Dustin asked a question. "Wait, where is room 347?"

"Its, um," Phoebe thought. "On the west side of the gym, Mr. Harris."

"Okay, that's my homeroom. What about the science lab, specifically Mrs. Walters?"

"Did you attention at all when we came last week to the open house?" Phoebe chuckled.

"Yes." Dustin sassed. "I remember where my locker is, the bathroom closest to my locker, the lunchroom, and I know that my locker is right next to my English class."

"Well, at least he knows where his locker is." Steve offers. "He won't be lost if he gets stuffed inside."

"Stop, you'll scare him." Phoebe shushed. 

"There is no way I'm getting stuffed into my locker. That hasn't happened since seventh grade."

"Trust me, dude. I was a popular, rich kid who was on varsity basketball. Someone will at least try once this year." 

"And on that note," Phoebe stopped the conversation as they pulled into the drop-off line. "You sure you know where you're going? I can walk you there." she offered. 

"No way is my big sister walking me to my first high school class. I'd rather get lost." Dustin cringed as he got out of the car. 

"Okay, fine. Don't forget about the pep rally at the end of the day. Find me in the lunchroom if you need anything." 

"Okay, jeez, stop babying me." he said through gritted teeth as Lucas and Max walked up to the car. "Hey guys."

"Hey." Lucas greeted.