One

Dream Come True

When Mr. Kim said I would be helping out on a film set for my final exam, that didn't mean I would eventually become the assistant to South Korea's biggest television drama star, Kim Son-hwan.

As soon as I landed in Seoul, our tour guide, Minnie, instructed everyone, in the best English she could pluck up, from my class that was required for this exam, to check in to the hotel near the airport. Jeju-do was the destination, since that was where the movie was being shot at. The plane left tomorrow so we made good time in regards to it.

Now was free time. As much as this trip was a surprise to me, it was always on my bucket list to visit. It was my dream to try authentic 떡볶이(stir-fried rice cakes) and 김말이 (Crispy Seaweed Noodle Roll) and not just the frozen ones from HMart in Koreatown. To drink soju and beer combined, while laughing with friends.

From Korean classes, I learned a lot. Probably more than one should about drinking games. This was my last year so I wanted to learn as much Korean as possible. How is that going, Red? About as good as a toddler finally learning how to talk. I knew simple phrases and expressions. But my tutor said that Koreans are very understanding with foreigners. Maybe that is why I love this country so much.

The people, the language, the food, the way people dress. Everyone was so nice. Even when the other students and I got off the plane, they welcomed us so warmly.

Everyone had wandered off, I noticed when I finally came back to reality. "Wait, what are we doing?" Trying to find Minnie, until I found her standing at the front desk.

"You can go roam around, here's your key if you want to put your bags away and grab food. My friends and I were just going to get some lunch, want to join us?" She offered, kindly in English.

I couldn't contain my excitement. This was it. The part I always wanted to do. I nodded and smiled. Minnie smiled and motioned over to the elevator. "Put your things away, I'll wait for you here." Her Korean was so soft, it was adorable to hear.

I followed her direction until finally, I found my room: 208.

Setting my bags down, I laid on the bed. It was a single so I had the room to herself. Plain white sheets and curtains, black desk in the corner with a mini fridge of the side of it. It definitely resembled a college dorm. One I didn't have any experience having since I lived in an apartment the majority of my adult life.

My father, though he wasn't rich, he had a solid job that helped me whenever I asked. Fortunately, I wasn't the type of person who asked for much, never wanted to be a burden to anyone so I never asked for anything. My dad just thought an apartment of my own would let me have my freedom, he trusted me and I loved him for that. He was all I had in this world, we relied on each other for comfort until he got remarried.

Don't get me wrong, I like that he's happy again but there was something not right about his new wife. She was... possessive of him.

Possessive isn't good, obviously, but he loved her and he couldn't leave her. So I tolerated her for the past 4 years. They got married when I was going into her first year of college. My mom left them when I was only a day old. Rodney, my dad, always told me the truth, no matter how much it hurt. He said, 'Red, sweetheart, this may be hard to understand now but I just want you to know never to hate your mother but be grateful that you are my world forever. Your mother wasn't ready so she left." I was 7 and curious.

That is probably why I prefer people telling me the truth instead of lying. I admired honesty.

Before I got comfortable, I quickly checked my phone and noticed the immediate time change. This was real. I tucked my phone in my pocket and grabbed my room key so I can leave and meet Minnie back downstairs. "Ready?" Her voice pitched a bit, extending out her arm.

I nodded and locked arms with her, her friends eventually joining us at the hotel door. 2 tall males and 3 females. The men had the aura of models and the expression of them as well. The women had such small faces, soft and pale.

I bowed, sporting my first Korean lesson to good use, "Hello, my name is Red. Nice to meet you." Waving in their directions with a smile.

They were so kind and friendly.

"Like the color? Is that your actual name?" One of the women said. She had short, black hair and dark eyeliner. Her style was more...grudge as we call it in America.

I laughed and nodded, "Exactly, like the color. My dad likes the color. It gave him more of a... how do you say, badass vibes." I replied to her honestly.

They laughed and I swear, it was the most angelic thing I've ever heard.

"Shall we go? Red, we'll teach you a couple of drinking games, can you drink?" Minnie asked, probably hoping I could.

"Yes, I can handle 2." I held up two fingers and followed them to the nearby restaurant.

I stood out amongst the group. My hair was dark red and my style wasn't anything to rave about, crop top with an unicorn on it and high rise jeans. I was in airport style, you know the type, right? Comfortable. Either way, everyone definitely had me beat in the fashion department. You could tell I was a foreigner.

But that didn't seem to matter to them or that I spoke very broken Korean, they still were so nice.

The smell of smoke and meat hit my nose as soon as we entered the restaurant. Korean BBQ? Grill and all? It was just my dream. "Welcome!" A distant female voice spoke when we came in then suddenly stopped in front of us. "How many?"

"7." One of the guys spoke up after counting everyone mentally.

The lady had guided us to a table big enough for everyone and then left, mentioning about side dishes. "What is everyone's name?" I asked politely, recalling that I didn't know their names until we sat down.

"Jung-won." One of the girls said, followed by the grudge looking girl, "Sunny."

"Ji-woo." The final girl introduced. I kept a mental note.

"Seok-Jin, Yong-Chol." The rest of them followed after, nodding my head.

I smiled and bowed my head, "Nice to meet you again." Just when I finished speaking, the lady returned with the side dishes and placed them all on the table. Sitting in front of me was the kimchi and perilla leaf. I wasn't near the grill but I was close enough to smell it when it was ready to be cooked.

"Ready to order?" The woman said, not even taking out a notepad. Were they superhumans? I could never remember everyone's order that easily.

"5kg?" Yong-Chol suggested to the group until he looked at me, "Good?" Holding a thumbs up.

I nodded.

"5kg of pork belly and 3 sojus, 4 beers." He said. To be honest, I was definitely starving. The food on the plane wasn't actually filling. It was just ramen and it wasn't enough for a long flight.

I turn to Ji-woo who was sitting next to me, she had dark hair, a blouse and a skirt. More of an office look. Maybe she was an office worker. Wouldn't be surprised, it was a common occupation here, I think. "Uhh, Ji-woo. How old are you?"

She had turned to me and smiled, brushing her bangs out out of her face, "26. Why? How old are you?"

"26 too. Friends then? When is your birthday?" I asked, it was a lot of questions, I just wanted to know.

"May 19.." Ji-woo answered and I gasped, "Mine too." She gasped and grabbed my arm gently, "Really? Yes, friends! I'm going to speak casually then. We all can, right?" She said, directing it to the entire table.

I nodded, "Of course. We're friends now. Is it okay if I call you 언니(Unnie) and 오빠(Oppa)? If not, it's totally okay."

I gestured to the boys and girls. "I'm pretty sure you're 누나(Noona)," Yong-Chil said. He made a point, they could be younger than me.

"Fair enough." I said as a matter of fact.