The Worldwide Initiative

Seren rocked on her feet so many times that she might end up breaking her own heels. She couldn't help it — she was beyond nervous. She was introducing her new team to the World Security Council and the evening was already in march.

"If you don't quit doing that, you'll be shoeless by midnight." Her director came by to stand beside her. Seren eyed the glass in Rebeca's hand. How Rebeca was so casual was beyond Seren. "And I don't need Cinderella, I need Agent Seren Soul right now, even though you do look like Cinderella right now."

Seren could only minimally laugh before the nerves crept in her stomach again. Several people had already arrived at the event. Waiters were passing by tables, offering drinks. Everything was casual, except for Seren herself. "I have been working my ass for the past 2 years and if the Council says 'no' then it was all a waste."

"They won't say 'no'," Rebeca shook her head. "They would be idiots if they did."

"Never stopped them before."

Rebeca nearly choked on her drink. "Ouch. Keep that one to yourself, alright? That might make them refuse to expand the Initiative."

Seren flushed with embarrassment. She hadn't meant to let that one slip but her thoughts about the Council had never been the best. She was too wary of them. She knew there were secrets under secrets when it came to the Council, even if Fury said it was all for their security. And being who she was, a potential threat as once stated 2 years ago, she felt like she would never be able to fully trust the Council.

"Simply speak about what the Initiative means to you and we'll be fine," Rebeca patted Seren's arm. "Drink?"

Seren shook her head at the offered glass and walked a little bit off. She could see the very team that she'd be talking about later on coming through the entrance doors.

Risha, Jordan, Blake and Alison were the lucky overseas versions of the Avengers' Initiative. More than a team, Seren looked at them as close friends. They'd been working heavily and close for too long to be anything but friends now.

"This looks great." Risha, the team's own leader, looked around with the biggest smile on her face. Seren thought it was better for Risha to be excited than nervous like she was. "Is the Council already here?"

"No," Seren shook her head. "But they'll be here soon."

"So what happens?" Blake was more on the nervous side like Seren. "Are we...are we supposed to speak to anyone?"

"Only if you want to," Seren said clearly. "But I'll be the one handling the questions. Of course I can't promise what'll happen afterwards."

"Can we have drinks first?" asked Jordan, the most calm of the team so far. He seemed completely ready which is what allowed Seren to think that perhaps she'd done a good job preparing them for this.

"Yes, of course," she chuckled but stopped when she spotted some familiar faces coming in. "Actually, before you go, there's a few people I want you to meet. Maybe it'll make things less nerve-wrecking for some of you later on."

"I'll try anything," Alison said with a hand rubbing endlessly over her stomach.

Seren brought them to meet Natasha first. It seemed only right since Natasha had been the first person Seren ever got to work with closely after turning 18.

"So you're the ones who took Seren away," Natasha shook hands with all of them. "I hope you're as good as she said you are."

"Natasha likes being very sarcastic sometimes," Seren chuckled nervously. Natasha almost laughed too when she felt Seren's gripping hand on her shoulder. She was silently being asked to tone it down. "But she's one of the best agents at S.H.I.E.L.D., definitely somebody you don't want to cross."