Chapter 10

"You want me to do what?"

"I kinda have this person I want to ask to homecoming and I need your help with the preparations."

"Homecoming isn't for another month."

"The first person to ask someone gets the ball rolling. Get with it, woman."

Winter, though confused and slightly disgruntled, allows herself to be tugged by the wrist to an empty classroom after school has ended.

The day before had been, to be it simply-however trite it may be-magical.

She had left Karina's house with a sweet kiss and a promise to reunite bright and early the next morning, which they did, exchanging wide-eyed glances and soft smiles. Physics had been a rush of bashful eye contact and nervous giggles-Karina had cracked so many jokes that it astounded Winter, who never realized just how lame the raven-haired was or just how much she'd love her for it.

Both girls had made a promise right before the bell rung that they would wait patiently until their date on Saturday to hang out again. And while it will be difficult to be away from each other for a whole twenty four hours, they know they can find a way to manage.

"So I was thinking about painting some cheesy one liner on this banner and asking them in front of the whole cafeteria."

Oh right, she was with Somi right now. It's so easy to get lost in her head when it's Karina she's thinking about.

The woman had dragged her to an empty classroom, illuminated only by the sunlight streaming through the open windows. If she strained her ears enough she could hear engines roaring to life and hauling ass out of the parking lot. Soon enough she'll be doing the same.

"Pretty ballsy move."

Somi flips her hair cockily. "Who could resist this?"

"Anybody, actually."

Winter leans back against the teacher's desk and keeps an eye on the way Somi manhandles the banner she's trying to work with.

"Oh please, you totally would've gone out with me if I asked you to."

"Maybe, if it wasn't for-"

The smaller woman interrupts knowingly. "Karina."

Winter shrugs but can't help but think about her upcoming date with Karina.

After a moment of silence, Somi discreetly texting the all clear to a very impatient Giselle, Winter speaks up again.

"So who's the lucky person?"

Somi smirks. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

-

"No."

"But, Rina!"

"Not happening."

Giselle pouts so hard she feels like her lips are going to fall off.

All Karina does is roll her eyes.

"I asked Ningning, because I knew you would break my heart like you are now, and she told me she couldn't because she had to do something after school."

Giselle physically gets down on her knees in front of her best friend and Karina tries frantically to pull her up, cursing at her under her breath.

"Fine! Fine. But I don't want to have to be your camerawoman ever again, okay?"

Giselle cheers loudly and hugs her tightly. "I promise! Why don't you like to record me, anyway? I'm just twerking. Shaking the goodies mah momma gave me."