Penitence's Passing

Still holding the sword for Odin, I ask softly, "You're the one who planned the wolf pack ambush that day, weren't you? I wouldn't want someone of your caliber to be wasted by pride. Stand up."

She does, and I hold the sword closer to her. Odin's plaintive eyes move between me and its handle. Having retired herself to death, her hand only grips her sword limply out of the discipline she's built up to now. It's a behavior engraved upon her soul so deeply that not even her temperament could overwrite it. Evidently, I can't part with a single kansen from Friedrich's fleet as they're all birds of a feather.

"All of you," I look out at them, "Stand up."

It's only my order that makes them rise.

"I might not understand your thoughts and feelings right now, but you're home. You're alive, and while you are, there's always another day. Go into town and try to rest. Talk to your friends again. You're free from duty for a week," I let go of Odin's sword and turn to speak to Bismarck.

But Thuringen, with tears streaming down her face, steps forward as Musashi parts from Friedrich's fleet, "What of our betrayal?"

"What of it?" I remark.

Confliction scrunches her expression, and she insists, "We tried to kill you!"

"And I tried the very same with you," I remind her, "I could've let you go silently. Moreover, I know what you're fighting for at the end of the day, and it's not to see my friends and family dead. You're more righteous than that, and I need you with me," knowing their vulnerability, I add, "If you don't want to fight... that's fine. Do what you want: seclude yourselves in the dorms, drink yourselves to death in the town, or, hell, return to your country if you really want to, but I can't promise you'll return here alive."

From their lack of reaction, I feel like I've misinterpreted their pain. Even Bismarck stares at me, albeit stoically. These kansen are clinging to something. Otherwise, they wouldn't be sitting here listening to me, waiting for execution. They could fall on their own swords if they wanted to. They've fought for a lie all their lives and, now, they're desperate for the truth, which I can't give to them. Not to reshape their fighting spirits, at least.

I put my hands on my belt, "I'm giving you the choice to walk away, and I trust you all to know the consequences of doing so."

The group turns inward, and they consult each other wordlessly. Their eyes pan from one person to another, seeking counsel in their comrades' eyes and in the faith they have in each other. They trust each other with their lives; it's only natural they'd do the same with their futures. Odin sheathes her sword.

The petite battleship inches forward and to my side between Bismarck and I, "Your tactics could use professional input... I will aid you in your wargaming."

Bismarck smiles above her, and she regards Friedrich's fleet, "No punishment awaits you here, my sisters; let us fight side-by-side once more. There is no shame to be found under the allegiance of the Kommandant."

Together, the Iron Bloods approach Bismarck and pick up their swords, each of them sheathing their weapons and lightly bowing their heads to me in passing. When Friedrich steps up to me, she can only manage a grimace, but the firm hand she places on my head speaks of her newfound credence.

"You carry the fates of many, my child," she glances down the docks where Musashi speaks to Akagi and Kaga, "The fates of us, the world," Friedrich looks down at me again, "and yourself. Do not forget yourself, my child."

"Friedrich," I grab her arm after she moves on, "Did you know I'd follow you to Bermuda?"

She only grins before slipping away to join the rest of her fleet. It's only Odin who stays at my side. Bismarck pulls her away to talk more, so I return to Eugen's side.