Chapter 6

When you woke up, you were still in Finnick's arms. You always slept best there. An Avox was standing over you - a bit invasive but you expected nothing less from the Capitol - waiting for the two of you to get up, and then the door burst open, and you heard Haymitch stomping in. 

"C'mon District 4s," he yelled, waking up Finnick with a jolt. He scowled, pulling the covers up around the two of you. He didn't want to go anywhere. 

Behind Haymitch, you could hear Effie's clacking high heels, and saw a tall, purple wig pass the doorway as she let out a shrill, "good morning!" 

When Haymitch entered the bedroom, so did the stench of alcohol. "Give us a minute," he told the Avox, who nodded and left obediently.

"What d'you want?" Finnick asked, snappier than intended.

"For you to survive," Haymitch answered. "Today is procession day, and you've gotta make a good impression." He huffed. "Although, with that attitude, Mr Odair, perhaps you and Katniss should align yourselves. Her behaviour's always worked out for her." 

"He'll work on the attitude," you said quickly. 

"Get dressed, eat quickly, places to be," Haymitch said, and then he strolled out as quickly as he'd arrived, planting himself at the dining room table across from Effie. The two of them chatted away, well, Effie talked and Haymitch half listened. 

"Whoever imagined our saving graces would be a drunk and a living doll," Finnick muttered.

"They got Katniss and Peeta through the last games," you said. "C'mon." 

The two of you hurried to dress, and saw no sign of Katniss or Peeta whilst eating. 

"Today you'll meet Cinna," Effie said proudly. "The greatest designer in all of Panem if you ask me. He's designed the most luxurious clothes for the both of you for today's Tribute parade, which..." she trailed off, taking a bite of a strawberry. How anyone could enjoy food under the stress of the situation was beyond you. "...You will handle with elegance and class. It's a chance to win initial sponsors and become capitol favourites."

"As long as I'm not dressed like a fish," Finnick said.

"Cinna would do nothing of the sort," Effie answered, but you doubted that anyone in the capitol would do any less.

***

You were last in line to see Cinna. He'd taken care of Peeta and Katniss in the last games, and when you'd passed the two of them coming back from their appointments, it was the first time you'd seen Katniss look genuinely happy.

That was surprising considering the treatment you'd been through before meeting Cinna. A group of Capitol minions had hosed you down, waxed you in places you didn't think could be waxed, plucked your eyebrows to oblivion, then hosed you down again after not so subtle comments about a fishy smell. 

"Cinna's one of us," she'd whispered as they walked by, and that gave you some hope. He invited Finnick in first, and half an hour later, Finnick re-appeared with a satisfied smile, and urged you into the room. You knocked like waiting for a doctor's appointment, but rather than summon you in, Cinna opened the door with open arms and a friendly face.

"y/n y/l/n," he welcomed, ushering you into the room. You sat down on a chair, and he sat opposite, with a soulful look about him. "I'm sorry that this happened to you, and I'm here to help you in any way that I can."

"Most people just congratulate me. Again," you said. 

"Well, I don't see the point in that," he said, and you smiled. You could see why the others liked him. "As you know, tonight, they have the Tribute Parade. We're gonna take you out and show you off to the world."