INFECTED

When I woke up, the sun shining through my curtains covered my skin. I turned over on my back, stretching the stiffness from my limbs.

Did last night really happen?

I was slow getting out of bed because my body was aching. I felt like I had a fever, so I took a cool shower, then made me some peppermint tea.

There were no coughs, sneezes, or runny nose, but my body felt like I had the flu and my breasts were sore. There were still bite marks from where Amin and Bellamy bit me. I definitely wasn't dreaming last night.

I rubbed ice on the bite marks, then took some flu medicine with plans on staying in for the day. Thoughts of what happened last night took over.

If I report what happened last night to the police, what will I tell them?

Two men who may possibly not be human bit my boobs then brought me back home. I mean....assault is assault., right?

I wanted to call Felicia, but my body felt too weak. I also wanted to know if Dawn and Keisha were okay.

Easily, I dozed off but was woken up by my phone ringing. Last night, my shoes were left, but my purse stayed across my chest....thank God.

"Hello." I answered with a whisper.

"E, open the door."

I slowly got up. "Keisha?"

Once I looked through the peephole, I opened the door. She was standing on the step with a hoodie and sunglasses on.

"Thank God you're okay!"

Keisha hugged me, and I did in return. She was sobbing as I pulled her into my place and shut the door.

I got her something to drink, then we sat down on my couch. Her hands were shaking while she drank from the water bottle.

"Did you hear from Felicia?" I asked.

"Yeah, she was released from the hospital two days ago."

"Two days ago? But everything just happened last night."

"No, it's been three days, Essence."

My heart dropped. "Oh no! I slept that long?"

It was Tuesday, and I had a feeling my job was gone. I grabbed my phone and called my supervisor.

"Hello, Dytech Industries."

"Good morning, may I speak to Mrs. Walker."

"Hold please."

My eyes were filling up with tears before she even got on the phone. Keisha looked at me, trying to be supportive. I didn't want to lose this job.

"Hello, may I help you?"

"Hi, Mrs. Walker, It's Essence."

"Oh, hello. Is everything okay?"

"No, ma'am, I'm not feeling well, and I can barely stand. I think I have the flu and slept three days straight."

"Oh, that's unfortunate, and I hope you feel better. You were put down as a no-show, and you're still on probationary period as a new hire."

"I know, I really do apologize. Can you please give me another chance? I did not expect to become this sick, and I really do need this job."

"I'm sorry, Essence. But the higher-ups have already made the decision to terminate you. But I do wish you the best in your future endeavors."

I hung up with no energy to listen. Keisha grabbed my hand with sadness in her eyes.