Chapter 3: Recovery

Italics: Thoughts or Sounds

Bold: POV or Time

Ava's POV:

After the Gengar was defeated, I let out a sigh of relief. That was close. I then remembered the Eevee that had helped me and turned to look. To my horror, it seemed that they had collapsed on the ground.

I quickly ran over to them. At a closer look, it appeared to be a male Eevee. He still had a pulse, which was good. What do I do with him? I wondered. After a second of thought, I decided to take him back to my house.

I put the Eevee on my bed and bandaged his wounds. Then I left the room. I went downstairs and sat on the couch to relax. I found myself thinking of the Eevee. He was surprisingly light, and his fur was incredibly soft and fluffy. Wait, what am I thinking? I blushed, embarrassed with myself. I shook my head and rested.

Cleo's POV:

My vision was blurry as I opened my eyes. I appeared to be in a bedroom. I tried to get out of the bed but groaned when pain shot through my body. I heard noises from downstairs, which made me double my efforts to get out of bed. The door opened, revealing a Pikachu.

"Don't struggle. You're going to hurt yourself!" They said. I stopped struggling but looked suspiciously at them. I saw that they were a female Pikachu.

"Where am I?" I asked, not trusting my surroundings. "You're in my house." She said. "My name is Ava. What's yours?"

"I'm Cleo." I replied. "Why did you bring me here?"

 "After you were knocked out by that Gengar, I decided to bring you home to recover." The events from before flooded back into my mind. This must have been the Pikachu I saw being attacked.

"Are you okay? That Gengar was pretty tough." She looked slightly shocked at my question.

"O-oh, I'm fine. Thanks to you." She said, slightly stuttering.

"Thanks for not leaving me back in the forest." I said.

"You did help me fight that Gengar, so it was the least I could do." She replied, smiling warmly. "What was their problem anyway? I didn't do anything wrong!"

"You've never heard about Darkwood Forest?" I exclaimed, disbelieving.

"I have, but never in detail. Everyone just said to avoid it." She replied.

"Well, Darkwood Forest has a lot of dangerous ghost types inside." I explained. "They attack any other mons that go there."

"Oh." she said. "Is that why that Gengar attacked me?"

"Yeah." I replied.

"How do you know so much about the forest?" She asked me, her curiosity showing.

"I kinda grew up there." I sheepishly replied.

"What!?' She exclaimed. "How did you survive then?"

"I had to fend for myself and gather berries to eat." I replied.

"Wow! You must be really strong then!" She exclaimed, her eyes shining. Blushing, I rubbed the back of my head.

"I guess so." I said. Changing the subject, I asked her, "Do you live here by yourself?"

"No, I live with my father." She replied.

"What about your mother?" I asked. The Pikachu visibly drooped at the question, and I hastily added, "You don't have to tell me." She nodded. I then tried to get out of bed but instantly regretted my decision.

"You should rest first." The Pikachu said, seemingly happy about the change of subject. "That fight must have taken a lot out of you."

"Yeah, I probably should." I said.

"I'm going downstairs. See you later!" She said, smiling at me before closing the door. I felt my heart flutter at the gesture. What was that? I wondered. Why did I feel that way? I shrugged it off and laid down on the bed, soon falling asleep.

Hey all! This is chapter 3 of A Brighter Future! Please comment your opinions down below. I'm always open for suggestions! Drop a vote if you enjoyed and add this story to your library to be notified when a new chapter is released. Until the next chapter!

-Parrot