TUTORIAL 102

Hello, I will be teaching HOW TO USE IBISPAINT X FOR SMUDGEART AND MANIPULATION EDIT from scratch but first,

Do you know how to make a perfect base for a smudgeart?

Probably not.

Okay, I'll show you how to do it.

1. REFERENCE, you need a reference of your choice ready to use and by that I mean; using photo quality enhancing applications (eg; remini) and using the noise reduction tool on Lightroom but don't increase the noise reduction too much or your reference will turn blurry.

2. CANVAS SIZE, the canvas size is one of the most important part in making sure the quality remains high and not low. I chose 2000X2000 to start with and dropped my reference into ibisPaint x.

3. FORCE FADE, I cannot stress this enough, force fade is important so make sure the force fade is turned on, at least to 40 : 40.

4. SMUDGING & BLURRING, The noise reduction tool already dissolved the pixels, smudging is to make it smoother. You shouldn't increase the intensity of the smudging too high or it might mess up the reference. I use blurring for the eyes and lips but make sure the intensity of your blurring brush is not set higher than 10. Just go over the same spot until you felt it's good enough.

5. SKIN, sometimes after smudging, some parts of the Skin looks uneven so you might want to grab your 'Airbrush' (make sure force fade is on 💀) and pick a colour to make the skin. Go over it until it has full coverage, like a foundation. The eyebrows needs more intensity (if you're replacing the eyebrows like I do but if not, go over it with the brush just a little bit).

6. CONTOURING, pick a colour (I normally use burgundy) and set the blending mode to overlay, making sure force fade is on, go over the cheekbones, the nose, the jaw, the forehead, eye lids, lower eye lids, and the lip with Airbrush, giving the reference colour since most of it was covered by foundation.

7. EYES, the eyes was slightly blurred previously so with your Airbrush and the colour changed to black, lower the size and increase the opacity, making a stroke but tracing the eyeliner the reference has on. Decrease the opacity of the brush at the inner corner of the eyes and make a line separating the eyeballs and lower lash line. Chose a colour suitable for the eyes to fill in the white thing surrounding our lens. With the colour black and the brush 'deep pen', make a circle to cover up the lens and erase the excess parts.

8. EYES 2, the eye balls isn't completely done, open another folder and set the blending more to overlay. Chose the colour you used for contouring and change the brush to airbrush, going in the inner corner of the eyes to make the pink/red thing at the inner corner of our eyes. Open another folder and leave the blending mode at normal, chose the skin colour and make a line representing the lower lash line, making sure you decrease the opacity to a good level.

9. NOSE, Open a folder and set the blending mode to multiple, pick a brown shade fill in the holes of the nose and make a tiny stroke to sharpen the nose.

10. EYEBROWS, As a lazy person, I would advice you to find an ibisPaint x drawn eyebrows png on Pinterest, drop it in ibis and change the blending mode to multiply, (the background is white) or invert then change the blending mode to add, (if the background is black.)

11. LIPS, open a folder and change the blending mode to overlay and pick a dark shade of red to make the lines separating the lips with a airbrush then slightly blur the line if needed. Open another folder and set the blending mode to overlay, reduce the size of the brush to a very small size and with the same shade of red, draw tiny lines on the lips.

12. CLEANING, open another folder and pick the same colour as the skin tone and begin to cleaning any wanted colour that might have gotten on the skin from doing the lips.

13. BLUR THE EARS!!!

I'm currently creating a discord server for teaching editing because I felt it would be easier.
I'll inform y'all when the server is ready to accommodate fellow graphic designers.