03, surge surfing

❝life is not a love song that we likewe're all broken pieces floating bylife is not a love song we can tryto fix our broken pieces one at a time❞

we're all broken pieces floating by
life is not a love song we can try
to fix our broken pieces one at a time❞

-broken, lovelytheband

chapter three , SURGE SURFING

The last place you wanted to be during a hurricane was an island. That went for most people, apart from the few idiotic mindless teenagers who would spend the days and nights storm chasing.

    Talia Anderson may or may not have been one of those kids. Heavier on may not but that didn't matter. She knew her mother was going to be at the station late, if not all night so she decided to spend her free time riding around in the pouring rain.

    It was the closest thing to adventure Talia Anderson had gravitated towards and it was mostly just because of how the rain drowned her thoughts.

    It was cold against her skin and she loved the feeling. She embraced the way her body fought to get warm, the numb feeling in her extremities. Her Converse-clad feet were wet down to the skin.

    Her hair was stuck to her face but she didn't bother to wipe it away. She tipped her head, letting the pelting water wash away the remnants of her makeup.

    Hurricanes were the weather Talia Anderson thrived in, weirdly enough. Every sane person tucked behind closed and boarded doors, everything locked up and secured, the world around the brunette teenager disappearing.

    It didn't matter which side of the island she belonged to, or who her friends were when it was storming. Not a single thing mattered on the island, because no one was paying any attention to others.

    The paved road in front of her already had formed puddles, Talia's bicycle splashing through it. Water came out from both sides of the tires and she felt the majority hit her feet.

    Thoughts swirled around in Talia Anderson's mind, so much so that the brunette teenager didn't seem to catch the fact that the tree to the left of the road was cracking. By the time she noticed and stopped her bike her feet were dragging on the ground to stop in time.

    The thoughts cleared from her mind at that exact moment, the tree coming crashing down in front of her. Her feet were burning from the drag but she couldn't focus on it for longer than a few milliseconds.

    "holy shit" Talia let out her heart pounding in her chest.

    "fuck, are you okay?" Someone from the other side of the road called out and Talia didn't have to look over to know who it was.

    "Jesus, Talia, are you okay?" Pope Heyward was rounding the other side of the tree, his face full of concern.

    "I'm fine, I stopped before it came down" Talia tried to talk the boy down but he shook his head.