Chapter Six

Keke and I spend the next several hours at the mall brainstorming with Tree and Taylor about my trading game, and the longer we spend researching and discussing it, the more I think it's a viable option. It turns out trading has been a thing forever. Even the ancients used barter systems, which I guess I knew but never really thought about before. People do it all the time, and one woman actually did get a house by trading up. We make plans between occasional customer orders of ice cream cones, and by the time I leave the mall for Maddie's party, I have a pretty solid game plan. Tomorrow I'm going to meet up with the girls and film my first trade request. And I'm going to stick with Vale's idea and use a highlighter. Perfect starting point.

I go back to my house to touch up my makeup, just in case I do actually see Lucas Fowler at the party. No one is home when I walk through the front door, which isn't that surprising. My mom probably took Viv to go get a pizza, my little sister's favorite food. I'm not at the house long when I hear a horn honk in three quick successions. Our code. I peek out my window and see Vale's red car sitting in my driveway. Tyler is already sitting in the back seat, probably having moved just moments ago. It's Vale's rule. I'm his number one and everyone knows it, so I get the front seat. I always thought it was kind of stupid, but no one else seems to care all that much. Probably because they enjoy ramming their feet against the back of the front seat to piss Vale off.

After one last glance in my bedroom mirror to check that my makeup looks okay, I run back outside and jump in the passenger seat of the car. I rub my lips together in his visor mirror, and he smirks beside me. "Shut up," I growl, and both the guys laugh. "I mean it. I'm already nervous enough about going to my archnemesis's house. I don't need you two bozos making fun of me already."

"We're not making fun of you," Tyler says, but his tone says differently. I glare at him through the mirror.

"I'm definitely making fun of you," Vale says, and I slug him on the arm playfully as he turns the corner. "So you're really banking on Lucas being there, huh?"

Tyler shakes his head. "I just can't believe you still have a thing for that guy. It's been four years and all you guys have ever done is flirt a little during lunch. When are you going to give up on that one?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not trying to look cute for Lucas," I lie, and then I look at them both to see if they're buying it. They're not. "Okay, fine. Maybe I am. But so what? It's harmless flirting. And besides, I have to find something to do while Maddie tries to bang my best friend." I shudder at the thought and look back over at Vale. He doesn't seem at all affected by what I've just said.

Tyler scoffs. "Oh please. Maddie Shaw has been trying to get into Vale's pants since the tenth grade, and it hasn't happened yet. Just like you and Lucas, I think the whole Vale and Maddie ship has sailed. Or sunk."

"Definitely sunk," Vale says, and I smile, pleased with this statement, and turn to look out the window. "And to prove it, I'll be the DD tonight. That way I can have my guard up, and she won't be able make a move while I'm drunk."

My smile spreads even further across my face. "Good thinkin', Lincoln." And I don't say this part out loud, but maybe if I get buzzed enough, I can finally make the right move on Lucas. Although I doubt Vale will let me get that far. His guard won't just be up for Maddie. He's super protective, almost worse than my dad. Well actually, he is worse than my dad. My dad has never given one of my boyfriends a rough time, but Vale does every single time. I swear he's the reason why my last boyfriend dumped me. Poor Nate just couldn't handle my best friend throwing daggers at us every time he put his arm around me. Let's just say that relationship didn't last long.