Part 21

Before you read this chapter, I would like to apologize for how long it has been since I last updated. Life hit. And it hit hard. But we're here, and fuck life.

"Would you kindly shut the hell up? I, for one, would like to hear what Viktor is saying."

The people around flinched at Hecate's chilly tone of voice. They then graciously shut their traps. "Now, what were you saying, Viktor?"

The boy cocked an eyebrow. "I don't know that it's that big a deal, Hecate. But, since you so clearly want to know, I was saying that you and your family are invited over to my house for Yule."

Hecate smiled. "That sounds absolutely delightful. I will have to talk to Mother and Father about it before giving you a sure answer on whether or not we will be there."

"Of course. Anyway, what do you think of your defense against the Dark Arts class?" As Viktor changed the subject, the people that had been crowded around the pair began to disperse.

"The class is surprisingly boring for one that should be teaching us how to properly fight vampires and giants and such. On another note, there will be rumors of my going to your house for Yule by dinner time, if not before."

"As expected of the children at this school. I gotta get going now, Hecate. The quidditch pitch calls." He then swiftly moved down the hall in the direction of the pitch.

Hecate shook her head and turned towards the dorms. It would likely be beneficial to do the homework that her professors had assigned, even if it felt pointless. And pointless it did feel. She was already top of her class and might as well be the top of the one above it and maybe even Viktor's. That was the fault of her adoptive parents. They had been stuffing her head as full of wizarding knowledge since the day Karkoff had introduced them.

***

"Did you hear? Heir Krum invited Heiress Volkov over to his place for Yule!"

"Seriously? They've barely even known each other for three months!"

"I know, right? I wish my third year and I were that close. Mine doesn't even talk to me unless he has to."

"Mine doesn't even talk to me. She's apparently either mute or doesn't like me at all. I hate to think which it is."

"That must be awful for you," Hecate crooned, walking up behind the gossiping pair. "But, that doesn't give you the right to talk about other people's affairs. I might need to teach you two a lesson about not gossiping."

The two who had been whispering paled. "Our apologies, Heiress Volkov. We meant no disrespect!" One rushed the words out. The other nodded fervently.

"I see. Don't let me hear it again, or you will face the consequences. Now, shoo." At her words, the two bowed, then fled the scene. In that moment, Ekaterina's words came back to her.

"Lead them to respect you through your kindness. They will honor your wishes because of their admiration of you." The ravenette disregarded the words once more. If she was gonna do it, it wouldn't be this year. That would undermine the respect that she had already commanded through her magical prowess.

***

"Hey Viktor, I was right. There were rumors long before dinner time," Hecate spoke as they walked into the Grand Hall.

"Well, obviously. It's you and I that they're talking about. Rumors about powerful people spread like wildlife, Cate."

"I have yet to hear truer words, Vik. How was quidditch practice?"

Viktor sighed. "It was...exhausting. Tell me why I'm the only one on the team who actually knows how the game is supposed to be played? Everyone else has been playing the game at least as long as I have! It's absurd!"

Hecate chuckled slightly. "I understand your frustration. I feel the same way about my classmates. I literally lived in an orphanage up until halfway through this past summer, and I'm more competent than most of them."

"Now, Cate, that's not very nice of you to say..." Viktor started. He was cut off by his friend's cold laughter.

"When have I ever cared about being nice? All of these kids are lying to themselves if they think that I give a shit about their feelings."

The Krum heir gasped dramatically, placing a hand to his heart. "Hecate, your cruel words wound me so. How can you be so heartless?"

"You're an exception, not the rule. You know that!" The girl smacked his arm to emphasize her statement.

He laughed warmly, and she grinned. "I know. You actually like me as a person."

"Exactly!"

***

Soon enough, Yule break rolled around, much to the delight of the students of Durmstrang. Their classes had only gotten more intense in the weeks following Samhain.

As Hecate was packing her small bag to return home and then go on to Viktor's, a large, egg-shaped object appeared on her bed. The girl carefully examined the egg-like object before touching it. It was burning hot, and Hecate pulled her hand away quickly, hissing.

Reaching into her bag, she pulled out a pair of gloves, slipping them on before reaching our to the object again. After confirming that it wouldn't burn her through her gloves, she picked it up. She frowned.

It was heavier than she had anticipated. She shifted it in her hands, and she felt something inside it move. As she analyzed it more closely, she began to notice its attributes. It was a bit bigger than a large watermelon, and its surface was uneven.

As she considered these things, she began to theorize what it was. It was a bit too big for it to be a hippogriff but also a little small for a dragon egg. Or at least she assumed it was. She hadn't studied dragons yet, though, so she wasn't quite sure.

The longer that she thought about it, the  fewer ideas of what it could be came to her. It couldn't be a griffin, as the egg color for griffins was orange, and the egg she held was a dark green.

Then it came to her. It could be a basilisk. The color and size were right for it. However, the heat didn't line up with that theory. She went to set it back down and noticed an envelope sitting where the egg had been. Using a small feat of wandless magic, she levitated the envelope so that she could set the egg down.

Once she had done so, she grabbed the envelope out of the air. It was addressed: To Lady Hecate. She opened it, pulling out a small slip of parchment. She read it the text twice.

Lady Hecate, it has come to our attention that this egg needs to be cared for. We feel that you are the best person to entrust with this creature. Good luck and be careful. Things aren't always what they seem.

---the Goblins of Gringotts