Chapter 5: Right in Front of You

"I'm just so damn mad," Sawyer yelled as she and Logan sat on the roof of Karen's Cafe. It was already the evening time so the dust had settled from her run in with Lydia.  "My little cousin," she said, "of all people he had to go after her." Logan shook his head also in disbelief. "What a fool," he said quietly. Sawyer nudged him. "Not just a fool," she exclaimed, "an idiot!!" He laughed as she laughed too. "I just can't get over the fact that Smith, the kid who can't even keep his grades up, cheated on me." Logan nodded, "I still can't even believe you two were a thing." He stood up and grabbed the basketball that was sitting in the corner. He practiced juggling trying to make her laugh more. "Listen, you've always been way too good for him," he smirked. "Oh yeah," she mocked. He laughed, "I'm not joking. Nate is a loser- he isn't smart, he only knows anything about basketball, he has no ambition.." She smiled, "go on and nail it to him." They both giggled. "Seriously S- I'm glad that you weren't that serious about him. He would have never been enough." She nodded as she looked up at him.

In that moment Logan almost built up the courage to tell her everything he'd wanted to for years. It was cut short by Liam walking up to the rooftop. Always the wrong time. "Look who it is," Logan said as he shook Liam's hand and gave him a hug. "Woah Evan's are you benching more?!" He laughed commenting about Logan's muscle gain. "I can bench three of you," the three of them laughed. Sawyer stood up and let the guys know she was going downstairs. "So you helping us get to state this year," Logan asked. Liam laughed and shook his head, "nah man.. I'm going to lay low for a little." "Your dad know about that?" Logan laughed. He shrugged, "I don't think I've made it a point of conversation. My parents have a lot going on and honestly you all have a great team right now, I doubt there's a spot for me." Logan shrugged, "well if you change your mind, you know there's always a spot for you." Liam laughed as his phone began buzzing. He unlocked it to see a text from Julia Baker that said "Boardwalk in 10?".

"Who's got you cheesing like that man," Logan asked while trying to sneak a peak at his phone. "Ah it's nothing," he said as he put it back into his pocket, "just a friend." Logan laughed, "okay the last time I smiled at my phone like that, the girl was special." Liam made a disgusted face, "ew don't talk about my sister." Logan laughed and shoved him, "shut up, I'm not talking about her!" They both shook their heads. "When are you going to finally admit it," Liam asked.  Logan was confused, "admit?" Liam nodded sarcastically, "yes ADMIT. That you're obsessed with Sawyer." Logan shook his finger, "Nope. Not happening. I'm not having this talk again with you man. There's nothing there, she's my best friend." Liam smiled, "Okay if you say so."

"Finally some me time," Julia said as Liam approached her sitting on the board walk. He gave her a hug. "I had to make my rounds, being back in town I had too many people to catch up with- I had to save the best for last." She blushed. "What a gentleman," she joked. "So how have you been? What's going on in your life," he asked. She shrugged, "you mean besides all the craziness with my brothers right now. Nothing really, I made cheer captain last week. I haven't gotten to tell anyone though, everyone's been in a funk lately." He put his arm around her and congratulated her. She looked upset that she wasn't able to celebrate her accomplishment with anyone. "I'm proud of you," he smiled, "you deserve it. I know you've been working your butt off for it."

"So tell me," she said as they walked toward the ice cream stand, "how has Cali been treating you?" He smiled, "Pretty good, I love it there." "Oh yeah- how about the girlfriend," she smirked. He laughed and shook his head. "Aw come on, no girlfriend?!" "You know I don't have a girlfriend," he looked at her. She smiled, "I was just testing the waters." They both laughed. "I missed you ya know," he said, "the last time I was here there was a lot of stuff we both left unsaid and I'm sorry about that."

Last April, Liam and Sawyer came down to surprise Logan for his last game of the season. It was a short trip but while at the game Liam ran into Julia and they hung out after. It was late but they had fun together, they went to the arcade- ate dinner and then walked to the River Court to watch the sun rise. They hadn't been that close previously but Liam learned a lot about her that night. She was more than just a cheerleader, more than his godmothers Brooke's daughter- she was smart and she loved to write stories. She dreamed of being an Author and writing about the things that mattered most to her. She hated the limelight that her parents were in, and had no intention of wanting to be the spot light. Julia also learned about him- to her he was always made out to be this jock. While Claire had nothing but good to say about him always, Julia didn't know him much other than he was a basket ball player and his dad was Lucas. She learned that night that he loved to watch a good rom-com every once in a while, he was hilarious and hard to be taken serious, and that he had a soft heart and cared about everyone around him. She also learned that basketball wasn't as important to him as everyone thought, that he did it to please his dad nothing more.

"Hey don't worry about it," she smiled, "we had a great time and we get to have even more fun this time around since you'll be here longer." He nodded and she reached out for his hand. "Let me show you something.." she smiled. She took off dragging him to the end of the pier. You could see their reflections in the water bounced off by the light from the board walk businesses. "I try to come out here as often as I can," she said, "it's a great place to find peace and quiet and gather my thoughts. I know the last time I told you that being a Baker is sometimes scary. Like all the expectations that fall on me is to become some fashion icon or somebody famous." Liam nodded, "I get it, I do. I mean we aren't too far from each other. Everyone thinks I need to be this big basketball star to be the person my dad couldn't. You know- Claire gave me shit for not wanting to join the team this year." Julia huffed, "that's Claire for you. But she only does that because she cares." He smiled, "I know. You know you aren't expected to be any of that right. I mean, the Jules who is her own person is the one I want to be around. Don't change who you are to please anyone else." The smiled at each other. She leaned her head onto his shoulder, "I'm grateful for you."