Full circle

Elera's present pov

Walking around Min-ji's lavish backyard, I was momentarily transported away from the issues that was my life. The scent of blooming roses fills the air, and the sound of a small waterfall from a koi pond provided a soothing sound for us.

" Are you planning on going back home, Elera?" Min-ji asks, breaking the silence between us.

"Home? You know I have no option but to, Min-ji, especially with everything that's happening," I replied.

"Why don't you just live here with me? My house is big enough," she offered.

I shook my head softly. "Mrs. Kim would never allow that. Besides, I don't want to cause you any more trouble than I already have. I'm risking my tone already ask it is." I sighed.

Min-ji looked at me as we came to a stop near a wooden bench. She gently lowered herself, laying her head on my lap. I started to massage her hair, my fingers moving through the strands, providing us both a sense of comfort.

Moments later, a cloud passed overhead, casting a fleeting shadow that felt eerily prophetic. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was on the brink of something monumental. And for the life of me, I didn't know if I had the strength to stop it, or if I even wanted to.

The next morning, the sun was bright and unyielding as Min-ji pulled her car up to my house.

"Is Jae-hoon still home?" she asked. I glanced at the time displayed on the dashboard. "I don't think so. He shouldn't be," I responded.

Looking up, I noticed Tae-hyung stepping out of his car. He looked up, seemingly sensing our presence, and our eyes met.

There was something strange about being in his presence. It had always been that way, but things seemed to have gotten weirder lately. I felt as though I was walking a tightrope, just a misstep away from plummeting into an abyss.

Min-ji looked from me to Tae-hyung and back, her eyes narrowing as she pieced together the situation.

"Hey, are you okay?" she whispered, concern furrowing her brow.

I offered her a weak smile. "I'll manage, thanks for asking. And thank you for driving me home."

"Of course, Elera. Call me if you need anything, okay?" With that, Min-ji got out of the car and wrapped me in a warm hug.

Pulling away, she says, "Take care of yourself," before getting back into the car and driving off, leaving me standing there on the driveway. She glances back once, her eyes meeting mine in the rearview mirror, before turning the corner and disappearing from sight.

I took a deep breath and mustered the courage to walk towards my front door. Tae-hyung's gaze followed me. I paused at the doorstep, my hand hovering over the doorknob, and cast a glance back at him.

As I took my hand off the doorknob, preparing to step inside, Tae-hyung's voice broke the silence. "Elera, can we talk?"

I paused, my fingers still grazing the cool metal. "Jae-hoon isn't home," I replied cautiously.

Tae-hyung raised an eyebrow. "Since when do you wait for permission to talk?" He asked, his hands shielding his eyes from the sun, while his height provided the shade to hide the sun from mine.

"Was that all you wanted to say?" I found myself saying trying to rush in order to avoid the awkwardness.

"No, not exactly," he said, his tone softening. "I just... wanted to apologize."

"Apologize?" I leaned against the door frame, intrigued yet wary.

He hesitated for a moment. "I wanted to apologize for not helping you properly the night you showed up drunk. I've felt bad that you ended up in the hospital."