13

The night weighed heavy on the group as they tended to Ethan's injuries, the rope burn around his neck a painful reminder of the darkness that had threatened to claim him. Their search for Savannah had been momentarily abandoned, their priority shifting to ensuring Ethan's well-being.

Sophia, having pushed aside her usual ditzy demeanor, had taken on the role of caretaker. She meticulously applied ointment to Ethan's wound, her touch gentle and soothing. The others watched, their expressions a mix of relief and concern as Ethan's condition slowly improved.

Ethan, his voice a mere whisper, spoke his gratitude. "I can't thank you enough, Sophia. You've been a real lifesaver."

Sophia smiled softly, her eyes reflecting the compassion she felt for her friend. "Of course, Ethan. We're here for you. You're not alone in this."

As night fell, the group gathered around the campfire, their thoughts weighed down by the horrors they had witnessed and the mysteries that still shrouded the sinister forest. With Ethan's condition stabilized for the time being, they decided to rest for the night, each of them seeking solace in the companionship of their friends.

Sophia, unwilling to leave Ethan's side, settled down beside him. She offered him a comforting smile and whispered words of reassurance. "You're going to be okay, Ethan. We won't let anything happen to you."

Ethan nodded, his exhaustion and vulnerability clear in his eyes. "Thank you, Sophia. I don't know what I'd do without you."

As the night deepened, they found solace in each other's presence, their bonds of friendship serving as a source of strength amid the darkness. The forest loomed around them, its secrets and terrors still concealed in the shadows, but for now, they clung to the small flicker of hope that Ethan had survived.