THE SWAYAMVAR

Recap- 

Urmila heard Sita gasp and she patted her hand reassuringly. She saw Sita's eyes wander towards Ram, sitting at the opposite end, between Vishwamitra and his younger brother. Urmila had promised herself that she would not glance at Lakshman, hardening her heart and her resolve to keep her eyes away from the brooding prince throughout the swayamvar but she had broken her self-imposed decree in just a matter of minutes....

Now continuing - 

'When will the ceremony start?' she mumbled, her edginess escalating.

Beside her, Sita appeared serene and poised, but her hands were clenching hers hard as they watched Ravan amble towards the bow. Ravan, like Ram, was an unanticipated visitor and her father and the other kings and princes had been none too pleased at his arrival. But courteous civility prevailed and protocol followed. Ravan was given the first chance to string the mighty bow.

He sauntered across with an air of aggressive defiance and unconcealed arrogance.But he bowed chivalrously before her father and Sita, before he folded his hand in silent veneration. With eyes peacefully shut, his hand folded and his head bowed, Urmila saw him murmuring a mantra. He must be praying to Shiv, she thought. Ravan considered himself Shiv's most faithful devotee.

Saying his brief prayer, Ravan bent down to lift the mighty bow, clasping it firmly in his big hands. It did not move an inch. There was a thick silence. He gripped it more firmly this time and tried to heave it; it did not budge. He tried yet again; he could not nudge it. The most powerful king in the raj sabha could not believe his eyes. He gave a roar of rage and used both his hands to haul it up but he was left grabbing hard at the bow instead.

To Urmila's flamboyant mind, it was a rather funny sight to see such a big, conceited king with his massive frame and his gems-blazing crown bent low on his knees,grappling ineffectually with an inert, horizontal bow that refused to be moved around.

Urmila bit her lip, enjoying the sight of the fallen king. Her dancing eyes went over to the others in the hall. Most looked perturbed. Ram, she noticed, was watching silently,his face composed, a slight frown furrowing his eyebrows. His companions, though looked evidently amused. Vishwamitra had a small grim smile while the younger prince was suppressing a devilish grin, his eyes for once sparkling, not with jaded annoyance, but with unconcealed laughter.

It changed him completely, making him look younger and amiable, flooding his face with unmitigated charm and a glowing cheeriness, wiping out any trace of his characteristic frown. Urmila was mesmerised at the transformation.

Mandavi nudged her warningly. Urmila looked down, her face scarlet, the bubbling smile immediately drying up. Had she been staring at him too long? Ravan was apoplectic with unbridled anger by now. He was still struggling with the bow and after another agonizing hour-long minute, he finally surrendered. He looked up, and had the grace to look regretful but his next words tainted the fleeting graciousness.

'With folded hands, I admit defeat that I cannot move the sacred Shiv dhanush,' he said superciliously. 'I must have fallen short in my penance to Lord Shiv that I could not do what I was asked to. But this I do know, that if I cannot move it, none present in this room can. So, King Janak, do you wish your daughter to remain unmarried? Because no one in this room will be able to string the bow— it is impossible to even shift it. What sort of a suicidal condition have you laid for your daughter? Do you want her to remain a spinster?' he sneered. 'I would not wish that, sir, and despite everything, am ready to marry her.'

His sheer conceit took her breath away, as a tide of anger overtook Urmila. How dareRavan insult her father and sister? Furious, she watched her mother's face go ashen infear and worry. Her father remained calm. 

'I regret that you were not able to string Rudra's bow, O king! But as a Shiv devotee you would know that I shall have to continue with the condition I have placed,' he said firmly, his face tranquil and his eyes looking evenly back at Ravan. 'Have no fear, sir;my daughter will not remain unmarried and lonely as it would be truly an extraordinary man who will eventually wed her. I shall wait for such a man to string the bow.'

The anger in Ravana's glittering eyes suddenly died down and was replaced with contempt. 'You might have to wait for eternity or till your daughter grows old!' he snorted. 'We shall soon see...and I have no time now though I shall wait and watch till infinity for your daughter Sita to get married to some precious man who fulfils your impossible condition. Meanwhile, since I would hate wasting this visit, I would not mind marrying your other daughter; she is as ravishingly beautiful as the world claims her to be!'

Even her mild-mannered father was shocked at the words; he stood speechless with horror. Ravan had clearly uttered those insulting words to salvage his broken pride. They were the defeated words of a crushed man who had lost his esteem and ego in harsh public glare.

Urmila felt his lascivious gaze on her. His eyes glittered wolfishly in his cruel, dark face. His open, blatant look made Urmila cringe but she lifted up her chin fiercely. She looked squarely up at him, her eyes sparkling with unsuppressed fury and loathing. It was a long, livid moment. And from the corner of her eyes, she thought she saw an angry movement. It was Lakshman, being restrained by Ram. Sita moved toward her sister protectively. Ravan's eyes turned to Sita.

'This humiliation has happened because of you. I shall never forget this day, fair lady. Iwill remember this...' He said softly, the tone menacing.

And saying his last, lingering words, he stormed out, leaving behind a pall of gloom.The mighty Ravan having been defeated, many disheartened kings followed suit and quietly left the raj sabha without daring a chance.....

                                                                                                 ***

Yup ! so that's it for the day peeps !!! I hope I have satisfied you guys with my writing !

So what are your views on this chapter ?? tell me in the comments below !! 

And silent readers.... what are you waiting for ?! do vote comment and follow me it supports a lottt !! 

Can I get 3 comments on this chapter ?? Pleaseee? ? 

So will see you guys in the next chapter till then ....

JAY SIYA RAM !!!