Chapter Sixty Seven {Rolan}🔥

The air tonight is thick with fear. I just watched my wife-to-be put men old enough to be their fathers in a time-out. I can't help but feel a surge of pride as I see the devilish smirk on her face, even when she's hurting inside. Davinia is not just a woman; she's a queen, and I respect that.

Her capos won't be causing her any issues for a while now, and judging by the look on her uncle's face, he has no clue how or when she did it. Tiana also appears confused and shocked, while everyone else seems like they've encountered death itself.

"You have to rest, uncle," Tiana urges her uncle to leave the room and retire for the night. She stands up from her seat to escort him out, but Maxwell is still reeling from the shock.

"Your sister-" he begins.

"Had to do what she had to do," Tiana politely cuts him off with a tired sigh. Our eyes briefly lock before she looks away. Something tells me she knows about Davinia's lab mates. These girls are not to be messed with. Maxwell does not seem to approve of Davinia's methods of discipline. He stands from his seat and allows Tiana to lead him out of the room.

The moment they leave the room, my phone rings with my father's name flashing on the screen. I swipe right and bring the phone to my ear.

"How are things over there?"

Always straight to the point, Christian. I scratch the bridge of my nose. "We lost a few of her men to another explosion, but this time she was able to catch the rat who did it. I'll fill you in with the rest of the information later."

I hear shuffling of papers in the background and the sound of arguments. He's probably in a meeting. "What do we do?" he asks, sounding distracted.

"Prepare for our wedding."

Silence hangs in the air for about ten seconds before he responds with a "What?!" I believe I have his full attention now.

"Our wedding will take place before the end of this month. We need to act swiftly before he strikes again." I rise from my seat and walk out of the room.

"Does she know about your sudden plan to expedite the wedding?"

"I haven't had a chance to inform her yet." I hear Christian scoff. "Probably tonight or tomorrow morning. Goodnight, Father." I don't wait for his response before ending the call.

"She's with Butcher," Tiana appears out of nowhere and blocks my path. There's a stern look on her face, and I can tell she overheard my phone conversation. She folds her arms across her chest. "When is the wedding?"

"When Davinia chooses a date, you will know."

She seems satisfied with my answer as she nods slowly and walks in the opposite direction.

The scene that greets me when I step into Timothy's room is not what I expected. Resting on Butcher's right thigh is the sleeping head of Davinia, while Butcher reads a book titled "Princess and the Frog?" I stand at the entrance and listen to Butcher read the last page of the book, just like a father reading to his five-year-old daughter. For the first time since I've known him, his cold eyes are filled with warmth as he sets the book aside and strokes Davinia's red hair. He notices my presence and looks up.

"Better?" I ask.

"Than yesterday? Yes," he replies softly in a hushed voice so as not to wake her up. "Please take her to her room." Without wasting time, I walk over to them. "She looks tired," he mutters quietly as he continues to pet her head.

"She is tired." I let him pet her one last time before I scoop her into my arms. She grunts softly and stirs in my arms for a moment. I'm sure she'd hate to know that she looks cute in my arms, but I'm glad to be the one to see her this way.

"I know love has nothing to do with our arrangement, but it won't hurt to treat her well. She's been through a lot and won't admit it's hurting until she's bleeding for the world to see." Butcher scratches behind his neck as he speaks. His cheeks turn a bit pink, which is quite a funny sight.

"I don't plan on treating her any less, Timothy. Rest assured."

He clears his throat and nods at me before I turn to leave. The more time I spend with her, the more I realize that the people who stay by her side do so because of her strength, not just because she is the daughter of the Italian mafia Don. And I meant every word I said to him. While we may not love each other, we will be building a family together. Growing up was the toughest and darkest part of my story. I had the worst childhood, and I don't want that for my children.

I want nothing more in this life than to have a family of my own that I can protect. Kids of my own who will resemble me and look up to me. A family that I won't abandon and that won't abandon me. Even for a mafia man... it isn't too much to dream for.

Davinia stirs again in my arms, murmuring words that I don't understand. Is she talking in her sleep? Another cute factor I'm sure she wouldn't want me to know or see, but that's quite unfortunate for her because we'll be getting married, and I'll be seeing a lot of her once she becomes mine.

Her personal maid, whom I've come to know as Helene, is already in front of her room, ready to open it when she spots us approaching. She immediately leaves the doorknob and rushes to take Davinia from my hands, but I refuse.

Instead, she opens the door for me and lets me into Davinia's room. I walk over to her bed to lay her down on it.

"I didn't know she was with you. I thought she might have gotten into a fight with her sister and come back drunk and injured," Helena explains why she was waiting outside Davinia's room. I pull the bed cover over Davinia and bring it up to her chest.

"Does that happen often?"

"Not as often as before. Come to think of it, since this whole thing started, she'd just bury herself in more work."