Chapter 2

Her statement slashed my heart mercilessly, and my legs stumbled back. She was clearly referring to me. I was going to be rejected.

My breath laboured as I shook my head slowly in disbelief, hoping I would wake up and realise it was all a dream or that it would all just turn out to be an expensive prank.

Nana faced me, and all the smiles gracing her face vanished, replaced with a stern look.

"I never wanted to be your mate. Yes, I just liked you because you were nice, but I didn't expect it to go any deeper. I thought he was going to be my mate not you. I am engaged to him already and we are getting married next week. I'm sorry you had to find out this way." She lowered her head and sighed.

"What are you saying? Are you really going to reject your mate for him? Nana, I love you. I am incomplete without you and it's only you that makes me feel whole. The moon goddess is right about us. Don't do this, please."

She said nothing and gestured for the silver knife which she took from her maid, fully ready to severe our bond like it had all been a joke. There was no hesitation and struggle in her.

This was someone who had given me a reason to believe and put my whole trust in her. I was head over heels in love with her, and she gave me nothing to doubt her love for me.

Then suddenly, this...

"Are you really doing this to me? I loved you so much among any other girl. You also told me you loved me. I thought we loved each other. What changed? Who is he? When did you both meet? What is fucking going on?!" I asked in pain, my voice breaking in and out.

I stared at the young man beside her, who had already held her hand possessively while I fought back my tears. I was hurt badly. My heart felt like it was ripped out of its ribs, thrown to the ground, and crushed.

"His name is Callen, and he is the man I love.. I'm sorry if I toyed with your heart. That's not how I wished it to be like. It was just fun for me, and I thought it was all fun for you too.. I saw you as just a very close friend, and it is unbelievable to see we are mates. We really shouldn't."

She hissed and stepped forward, tossing her stray hair behind her ears.

"Are you for real?" I mouthed, and she nodded without any remorse. It was as if she were in a haste to cut me off.

"I, Nana Lynn, the daughter of the Alpha King, Killan, reject you, Tyler Lake, as my mate forever. It is over between us, and we should go our separate ways!" She spoke loud and firmly, not minding how I felt at all.

Each syllable felt like a stab wound, each sentence like a twist of the knife, hurting me mercilessly.

"Accept the rejection and go out to find love in another woman." She added, and I watched as she sliced her wrist with the silver knife forming a crimson blade, a deep groan of pain escaping her lips.

My legs bulged forward at her silent cry of pain from the cut. I still stupidly felt the urge to hold her into my arms to ease and console her of the pain, but Callen, her new boyfriend, carried her into his arms in a bridal style.

"She has made my choice clear, prince." He said to me and it felt like I was slapped on the face.

"Tyler, let's leave here." Jace snorted and cursed, "She can go to hell!"

He grabbed my hand when I couldn't move and took me out.

I realized at that moment that the whole decoration and celebration were a welcome party for Callen and not me.

It was the moment my driver drove me back home that everything settled in my head, the pain consuming me. It dawned on me that I was used as an option. She used me to wait for Callen.

My first love ruined me. All the dreams, plans, and the future I had for us were flushed into the drain.

It was so hard to sleep. Each time I closed my eyes, all I could see was her face laughing at me as she walked away with her chosen mate.

My heart felt like it was squashed. I couldn't breathe well, and the room felt so hot. In my head, I kept hearing her rejection words. I kept seeing them again and again, and it hurts more each time.

To clear my head late that night, I snuck out of the house without any bodyguards or a driver and drove away with up to five bottles of vodka to keep me company.

I was driving and drinking, not minding if I would die.

"What did I do wrong? Where did I go wrong? What didn't I do, right?"

I kept shouting and punching the steering of the car, my head banging, and sweat and tears smeared all over my face.

Then, in my hazed mind, something terrible happened. My brake seemed to fail as I marched on it at high speed while trying to escape a car. My head was in a foggy state, and the next thing I had was a loud bang, the airbag preventing me from hitting against the steering.

The first thing that filled my nostrils as I stepped out was a wolf scent, and I could see their wolf furs scattered around. They might have tried to shift and save themselves, but it was too late.

"Please, help...." A deep, distressed voice crept from beneath the car that had turned upside down. I squatted and peeked through. There was a man and woman badly wounded. The woman was already unconscious, while the man seemed to be fighting to stay conscious as he begged with a wavering voice for help.

His eyes were moving around lazily. He seemed to see me, maybe in blurry vision.

"My daughter is still young... We can't...die.. Sir... Help my wife. Please save..us.." His lips were quivering, and his bleeding head staggered around as the blood smeared his face.

Their scent was exactly the same as Nana's, and at that moment, as I stared at them, I couldn't see their faces any more. I could see Nana grunting in pain under the car, calling out to me for help.

Fuck off!

I cursed in the agony of my heart, seething through my teeth as I stood and back away from the stumbled car.

"Werewolves are evil... Nana is evil. She destroyed me..." My voice was slurry, from both the wrenching pain in my heart and the alcohol inside my system. My legs were staggering, and my vision was blurry.

"They deserve to die!" I snapped and walked back to my car, searched aimlessly for my phone, and finally found it in the car glove box. With so much struggle, I found Jace's number and sent him my live location, asking him to come pick me up.

Jace came, and I told him that the passengers in the other car were dead, just so he wouldn't attempt to help them. He towed my car as we both drove home.

I woke up the next day with intense guilt that stabbed deep into my heart mixed with the agonizing pain of Nana's rejection.

Days passed, and I tried to forget it all—both the rejection and the cruel murder of that innocent family—but it was stuck in my head, eating me deep. I felt more distant, wasted, and lonely in this world.

How did I think love was worth it? How did I not know it was a weakness that turns you into a toy? I regretted the day I met her.

My heart turned cold, and I made a decision never to fall in love.

But my foolish heart still had hope in Nana. I still believed deep inside me that someday she would come back to her senses and return to me. At least she was my mate, even though she had rejected me. I was ready to forgive and give her a second chance.

But my expectations only brought me more heart-wrenching pain as I got slapped in the face with their engagement banner a few weeks after.