Chapter 12

Weak sunlight filtered through our bedroom windows when I opened my eyes. Blinking against the glare, I frowned when a sharp pain occurred in my neck. After a few more blinks, my surroundings came into view, details slowly clicking into place. I wasn't in our bedroom. I wasn't even in the palace.

I pushed myself upright with a gasp from where I'd curled up on the cave floor with my cloak rumpled and warm beneath me. Weak sunlight indeed filtered into the cave, but I knew I was a long way away from home. For a split second, I hated sending everyone into a panic, but then I thought of Waverly and the harsh words between us.

Maybe space from everyone right now was what I needed. At the same time, a horrible, empty loneliness spread through me.

Fragments of our argument floated through my head, lodging in the crevices of my mind like sea glass into flesh. "'But that's no reason to stop living your life.'" "'I know you're hurting, Faye.'" "'I understand that the pain may never go away.'"

"'After you received the most shocking and heartbreaking news ever, how did you react?'" "'Did you seek out those closest to you, knowing they could help ease the burden?'" "'Or did you close yourself off, wallowing in your grief and anger because it was easier than admitting the truth?'"

I hated that I'd lashed out at her, loathed the words I'd spat. I knew they'd struck her as effectively as her own had cut me. My stomach growled, the sound jolting me out of my thoughts.

Judging from how my head spun whenever I moved, it had been a long time since I'd last eaten or drank. I was hesitant to leave the relative safety of the cave, but I knew I couldn't go much longer without food. In my furious haste, I'd left my messenger bag in our suite. I carefully rose from the cave floor, grabbing my cloak and shaking it out before slinging it over my shoulders.

Taking a steadying breath, I exhaled deeply before cautiously swimming to the mouth of the cave. I didn't recognize my surroundings, but I could tell I wasn't anywhere near Pelathas. I swallowed hard, pushing past the lump in my throat. All I wanted to do was let the empty loneliness consume me, but I knew I had to keep moving.

Various sea creatures crossed my path as I swam, but I paid them no heed. My entire focus was on breathing and staying upright. I swam until exhaustion crept back into my bones, forcing me to pause. When I caught my breath and looked up, my heart leaped into my throat. Buildings in the distance caught my eye, filling me with wary hope. I moved closer, almost sinking to the seafloor as I neared Nepptheas' entrance.

I felt more than saw the curious and concerned glances thrown my way, but again, I paid them no heed. I passed various buildings, halting when I saw a vaguely familiar sign—The Ocean Blue Café. Vaguely, I remembered Aunt Nerissa's stories of her time working here.

I let out a sigh of relief as I swam inside and sat in a corner booth, lowering my head into my trembling hands and rubbing my face. "Hello." I jerked upright at the mermaid's voice, meeting warm, dark grey eyes.

When I didn't respond, her eyes softened, filling with concern. It was only when she opened her mouth that I noticed she held a plate of shrimp and a mug of bubble tea. I watched as her gaze flicked from my face down my body, taking in my silt-covered clothes and weary expression. "My name is Stella." As the words left her mouth, she placed the mug and plate before me.

I didn't even have the energy to voice my confusion. I gave her a weary nod of thanks in place of a smile. She eyed my trembling hands, then met my eyes again. "You're Queen Isabella's daughter, aren't you?" I was surprised when she didn't coat the words with scorn but pure curiosity.