Chapter Ten

My body felt far away, lifeless and limp as my spirit floated aimlessly above the beeping machines and white sheets. I existed, my mind mercifully blank, as time ticked away. Until suddenly I could feel the deep ache in my limbs, the pounding headache between my eyebrows, the slight chill of the air, and the sheets that were tucked just under my chest. It was as if a rubber band had been snapped. It was forceful and abrupt and unpleasant.

I groaned and the sound vibrated low from my throat. That hurt, too. I was parched. I took a deep breath through my nose, grounding myself in the smell of harsh chemicals and...something else. Something familiar. I cracked my eyes open in a flutter of squinted blinks. The overhead lights were thankfully dimmed to a soft gray as I took in the infirmary.

I wasn't in handcuffs, but I was attached to multiple monitors. I didn't know what any of the data meant, but that curious thought all but dissipated at the sight of Evren slumped into a chair a few inches to the left of my bed. I flinched, my muscles tensing in preparation for another fight.

His eyes were closed, arms stiffly folded across his chest as the back of his head rested along the chair. His chin jutted toward the ceiling, his jaw outlined in sharp shadows and I forced myself to take calming breaths. It was almost charming how he couldn't quite fit in the chair. His legs stretched before him, bending at the knees to keep him upright. He leaned slightly to the right, and I wondered if that was because of my kicks to his left ribs.

"Don't even think about it, Ata." His words were quiet and calm, if a little exasperated. My gaze shot back to his face, feeling my heart begin to quicken, but he was a picture of ease, his eyes still closed.

"There are three guards outside. Even if you do manage to get past me." He continued. I couldn't help it, my eyes darted to the hallway. From my angle on the bed, I couldn't see them.

"I've done it before." I reminded him, haughtily. If he thinks a challenge like that would go unanswered, he was wrong. The corner of his lips turned up just slightly before the expression vanished.

"You can't honestly expect a rematch in your condition."

"I've fought with worse injuries." For some reason, I felt slightly offended. He thought a broken rib or two and some bruising is all it would take to stop me?

"I meant the sedative in your system."- his eyes finally opened and locked onto my face- "You can't feel the effects now, but the second you try to stand-"

"That can't be healthy, being sedated for as long as I have."

Evren shrugged, and took great care sitting up. He tried to make it look slow and meticulous, intimidating, but the way his stomach tensed and his breathing changed just slightly made me think he was in as rough a shape as I was. The competitive side of me was proud. Good, it sang.

"I can't fault you for trying to escape. But these are the consequences."

"Consequences." I scoffed before turning to analyze the grainy pattern of the ceiling.

We were silent as I listened to the bustle of the infirmary. Doctors and nurses in grey and white scrubs and coats glided past my bed from time to time, determined gazes plastered on the cellscreens they carried. I didn't hear the usual sounds, groans, and screams I often heard at the healers tent on Calida. It made me curious.

"What time is it?" I asked, turning back to see that Evren had closed his eyes once more.

"About four in the morning." He answered without looking at a clock or a watch. I huffed and buried myself deeper into the sheets. My bed back at home had never been this soft, this cushioned. I frowned and watched as a nurse passed by with a metal tray. She scurried by almost as if she was avoiding Evren and I, keeping her eyes trained firmly in front of her. Not that I'd be surprised if she was avoiding us.