Chapter 4

Friday arrived. Amelia was getting ready for her date with Thomas. Jill was helping her pick out a dress and do her hair and makeup.

"Do I look okay?" Amelia asked.

"You look great." Jill said.

"I'm really nervous." Amelia said. "I've never been on a date before."

"You'll be fine." Jill assured her.

They heard the doorbell ring and someone answer it.

"Amelia, Thomas is here." Helen called.

Amelia headed downstairs, with Jill following behind.

"You look great." Thomas said.

"Thank you." Amelia said. "You do, too."

"Ready to go?" Thomas asked.

"Yes." Amelia said.

"I won't have Amelia out too late, Mrs. McIntyre." Thomas said.

"You two enjoy your evening." Helen said.

"Thank you." Amelia said.

She followed Thomas outside, where a car was waiting. Thomas opened the passenger door for Amelia and she got in.

"Nice car." She complimented.

"Thanks." Thomas said. "But, it's actually my Dad's."

"So, what movie are we seeing?" Amelia asked.

"Pride and Prejudice." Thomas answered.

"You didn't have to pick a girly movie just for me." Amelia said.

"And who said I didn't want to see Pride and Prejudice?" Thomas questioned.

"Alright." Amelia replied. "Sounds good to me."

"Good." Thomas said. "Because, I'm quite looking forward to the movie."

Amelia chuckled.

After the movie ended, the two made their way to a diner. They sat down and ordered meals.

"Did you enjoy the movie?" Thomas asked.

"Yes." Amelia answered. "Did you enjoy the movie?"

"I did." replied Thomas. "So, how are you and Emily getting along here?"

"We're getting along fine." Amelia said. "Emily was a finalist with Molly in their school spelling bee."

"That's great." Thomas said. "Did either of them win?"

"They both did actually." Amelia said. "They had to cut the spelling bee short, so they both won."

"Why'd they have to cut it short?" Thomas asked.

"Their teacher, who was one of teachers giving them the words, got news that her fiancée was killed overseas." Amelia explained.

"Oh." Thomas said. He noticed Amelia's mood change. "Hey. It's going to be alright, Amelia." Thomas said.

"You don't know that!" Amelia said. "Life is really unpredictable right now."

"I know that." Thomas said. "But, at least you and your sister are safe here."

"My father isn't." Amelia said.

"What do you mean?" Thomas asked.

"My father had been working over there as a doctor in the army and he went missing." Amelia explained. "He's been missing for awhile and Emily and I haven't heard anything about him even before we came here."