Chapter 11 Growing close

Maverick was fidgeting when he started, but as soon he got into the story he stopped

Maverick was fidgeting when he started, but as soon he got into the story he stopped. Interestingly, he is embarrassed by a joke. He said it was at my expense but... I would have thought he would know I don't care about that kind of thing.

He read quietly for quite a while before he closed the book. "Tia I have a couple of questions."

I closed my book and put it to one side. "About the book?"

"About you."

I smiled. "You don't need to ask permission to ask me something." Was he thinking about this whilst reading?

He watched the screen for a moment. "You call him your husband. Do you still think of him that way?"

"Weather I like it or not he was my husband. I call him my husband because he will always be my husband."

He frowned at me. "I see. Are you sad he's dead?"

"I'm sad that the world has lost a large intellect. If he had put his mind to it he could have done a lot of good in the world. He was a selfish narcissist, so he would never have used his brain for the benefit of mankind. The best answer is yes and no."

He smiled slightly "Well I'm happy he's gone. I know he can't hurt you now he's dead. Will you tell me about the scar you gave him?"

I smiled at him. He's being so careful, it's really sweet. "He married me and it was less than three hours after the vows were said before he showed his true colours. He told me to get him a drink I thought he was joking with me and he wasn't. He attacked me and I defended myself. I broke a glass over his head and used a shard of it to cut his arm while he tried to strangle me. Once he realized I wasn't as weak as he thought I was, he backed down and was all apologies. At least he can't do that to anyone else now."

Maverick watched me looking both angry and sad by my tail. "At least he got what he deserved."

"I don't think anyone deserves to die like that. Not even him."

Maverick sighed and shifted. "Do you... I mean now he is gone do you think you could contact your child?"

I shook my head. "You know my feelings on that."

He took my hand and sighed. "I do but I just wanted to know if this changed anything." I shook my head. "What about Tobin?" I stared at him. "Please don't do that."

"What are you asking me?"

He shook his head. "What is he to you?"

What is he to me? He's... he's a boy alone in the world. He like me and Rose understand the pain of living with sky. We are wounded in the same way. Even Rose has the scars of living with sky.

He squeezed my hand drawing my eye's back up to his face. "You don't need to answer me."

"I want to give you an answer. I wasn't expecting the question and don't have a good one for you."