1. Senior Year Sucks

"This sucks

"This sucks." I mutter the second I step inside the classroom. Whispers and comments follow me as I take my seat at the back of the class. It's nothing new, I'm used to it but it still hurts when people judge you without even knowing your side of the story. Looks like Senior Year is not going to be any different.

The bell rings, signalling the start of class. The teacher starts speaking and the whispers die down. The teacher, Mrs. Fletcher begins the roll calling.

"Ronnie Anderson." "Present."
My heart beat quickens.
"Angela Anderson." "Here."
I think it'll explode.
"Krissa Beauchamp."

The whole classroom erupts into whispers and glances all at my expense.
"She's the one."
"That's her mother."
"Whore's daughter."
"The nerve to come at school and acting like everything's okay."
" I heard she sleeps with three different guys at the same time." I don't.
" Eww... that's so gross." The teacher makes no efforts to control the class and continues on...
I'm a virgin but of course they won't believe me. "Present." I say weakly.

I prepare myself to excuse from the class when suddenly the door is thrown open. The whole class falls silent. Someone enters, a guy.

I sigh and lean back against the bench, my eyes in my book. Nothing special, just a new student in a small town. The teacher asks the new guy to introduce himself.

"Hey there everyone, I'm Theodore Garcia, I moved from Summer Hills due to dad's work." His voice is deep, even soothing. "I like to read books, play basketball and I love to talk so bear with me." At this, like someone gave a queue, all the girls laugh, some guys too. Are they stupid? What's so funny about it?

I keep my head down, careful to avoid any eye contact while the new guy, Theo, talks on and on about stuff he did before coming here.

The few minutes later, he's done. Thank the heavens-
"Well,...." The teacher starts speaking, tsk, is it ever going to end? " I hope you'll do great. Welcome to Mergery High. That seat is vacant, you can take it."

I hear a few girls whispering,
"Oh my gosh, he's so handsome."
"Absolutely, look, he smiled at me."

I hear footsteps coming my way and out of the corner of my eye, I see someone taking a seat next to me. I slightly turn my head to look at the new guy but at the last moment I turn it ahead. It's nothing special. I shift my focus to the teacher.

"Since it's the first day, we'll have a summary writing based on the novels you were asked to read in the summer holidays. For that, you'll need to partner up. The questions are written on this sheet which I'll distribute. Write the answers and you'll partner will give their opinion on it. Submit the paper by the end of the class. Come on now, pairs of two."

She explains the long-ass assignment and distributes the paper, returning to her seat. I wait for the paper to reach me but it doesn't so I get up and walk to the front of the class and grab one, returning to my seat.

When I reach my desk, there's a sheet of paper on it. The summary sheet. I look around but don't see anybody looking my way. I pickup one sheet and put it in the desk, starting with my assignment when suddenly I hear a voice.

"Hey."