3. Partners?

"Hey

   "Hey." The voice is coming from my right but I'm not sure if it is calling me — who would even call me — so I don't respond.

"Hey you, the girl with the bangs." Tsk. Definately me.
I turn my head a little to the right and see the new guy looking at me.
        "what?" I ask flatly.  

"How about pairing up for the assignment?"

"No."

"Of course, you already have a partner." He smiles at me and says but drops the smile and mutters, " what was I thinking."

"It's not that I have partner for the assignment but I like to work alone." I clarify. I don't want him to think I'm lying about having a partner. There are already enough people on the krissa's-a-liar list.

           "Is that so?" His 1000 watt smile is back. Tsk, how bothersome, " Then, let's partner up."

           "No." I say flatly.

            "But why?" Just give up alreadyyyyyyyy. Ugh.

            "Because I like to work alone."

            "But the teacher clearly said we need to pair up for the assignment." At this point, his whole body is turned in my direction. I look at him for a second before turning my attention to the group of  girls sitting a few rows ahead of me. Beams of hostility are shooting through their eyes.

            If glares could kill, I'd be in hell right now, no, not hell. Heaven, definitely in heaven for putting up with these snobby animals for nearly 3 years.

The new animal— guy, the new guy is saying something when I shift my attention back to him but I miss whatever he says and hear only the last word, "partners".

            "No." I say immediately.

            "But you just said you won't be my partner." He says confusingly.

            Shit. I think I messed up.

            "What did you just say?" I question him.

            "I said you just said—" I cut him off and ask. "No, before that."

            He thinks for a second before saying,
"since you don't want to pair up I'll just find another partner."

            What a mess. Tsk, that's why I always mind my own business.

            "Sure. Go ahead. I think the female population of our class is dying to be in your presence." I point behind him with my pencil towards the group of plastic barbies.

          He turns around swiftly and all the girls who were staring at him—and glaring at me— quickly avert their eyes. He shrugs and stares at his desk.

         Finally, out of my way. I turn my attention at the task at hand when another desk is joined to my desk. I whip my head to the right as the new guy makes himself comfortable, beside me. Very comfortable.

          "What do you think you're doing?" I say angrily. Before he could reply, the teacher comes around our desks.

          "Oh so you're finally participating in group activities Krissa? Fiona would love to hear this." She says happily. Did I mention Mrs. Fletcher is 50 years old and is friends with my grammy? Tsk. The pain.

          "Sure." I mutter.

          "Well continue." She goes around the class asking if everyone has got a pair.

          So she's smart enough to know that this is the first time I'm participating in a group activity but doesn't know why I was not participating before today?

          "You sure don't like group activities." I lift my head to see the new guy speaking to me.

          "They disgust me." I say dramatically. The truth is nobody wanted to be my partner. It was always me and my seat and my work. Everyone was too busy hating me to be partners with me.

          He is not going to be any different once he finds out my history. He'll ignore me just like everyone else, he'll bully me just like everyone else, he'll hate me just like everyone else.

          I do the assignment with as minimum interaction as possible. He tries to strike convos but because of my lack of interest he shuts his mouth and the lecture passes smoothly with no hiccups.

          As soon as the bell rings, I'm out of the class as fast as a cheetah ignoring the new guy calling out my name. I make my way towards my locker.

          I open it to keep my books in the locker when suddenly someone pulls my hair roughly as I fall to the ground along my books.