Nightmares

Ekko was tossing and turning in his sleep. He was dreaming about Benzo's death despite it being 7 years since he died. After a moment, Ekko shot up, drenched in a cold sweat as his heart pounded. "Ekko?"

He looked up and saw a concerned Alexander in the doorway. "A- Alexander. H-How was the healing session?"

"It was fine." Alexander sat on the bed and asked, "Was it a nightmare?"

"Yeah."

"Was it Benzo?" Ekko nodded, tears forming in his eyes. Alexander hugged him, and he hugged him back. Tears streamed down Ekko's face as he clung to his father.

After a moment, they released each other, and Alexander asked, "Do you want me to stay with you until you fall asleep?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll be okay."

"Alright. I'll be in my room if you need anything."

"I know. Thanks."

"You're welcome." With that, Alexander got up and left the room.

......................................................................

Vi lay curled up in her bed, trembling. She was having a nightmare, and needless to say, it was a terrible one. After a long moment, Vi shot up, gasping for breath. "Vi?" She looked and saw Caitlyn poking her head in through the doorway. "Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine." Caitlyn raised an eyebrow as she slipped into the room. She closed the door behind her and walked to the bed. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." Caitlyn sighed and walked to the other side of the bed and laid down next to Vi. Vi gave her a confused look, and Caitlyn said, "I think you could use some company."

Vi sighed and laid back down. They stared at the ceiling in silence for a bit before Vi asked, "Caitlyn, can I ask you something?"

"Of course." Caitlyn turned to lay on her side, facing Vi. Vi copied the movement to face Caitlyn. "How come you didn't tell me you were a councilman's daughter?"

"I didn't want you to think of me as a snobby rich person. I just wanted to be treated like a normal person."

"Do people not treat you like a normal person?"

"Pretty much. They take one look at me and assume they know me, but the truth is, they never knew the real me."

"Is that another reason you became an Enforcer?"

"Yes." Vi hummed thoughtfully and sighed. "Vi?"

"Yes?"

"You don't have to answer this question, but I want to know...what was your nightmare about?" Tears instantly sprung to Vi's eyes, and Caitlyn wanted to smack herself. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked. I-."

"It was about a terrible night that happened 7 years ago." Caitlyn remained silent, letting Vi continue. "Vander, my adoptive father, he took me and my sister along with two boys named Claggor and Mylo in after our parents died. We became a family, but it changed when Vander got captured by Silco.

Me, Claggor, and Mylo went to rescue him, but I made the mistake of leaving my sister behind to protect her. She followed us and caused a massive explosion to help us get away, but..." Tears fell from Vi's eyes as the memories flashed through her mind. "But the explosion killed Mylo and Claggor." Caitlyn sucked in a quiet yet surprised gasp but let Vi continue.

"Vander... he sacrificed himself to save me and died, too. Then I found out my sister caused the explosion. I got so angry and..." Vi swallowed hard to avoid sobbing. "I hurt her, and I walked away. I-I tried to return to her, but Marcus showed up and nabbed me. I'll never forgive myself for what I did to her. She was only trying to help. She didn't mean..."

A light sob escaped Vi as more tears streamed down her face. Caitlyn's heart broke. She knew Vi and Jinx experienced severe trauma but didn't know that this happened. As Vi sobbed quietly, Caitlyn gently caressed Vi's face, resting her hand on Vi's cheek. That comforting touch was all it took to calm Vi.

Vi gently grabbed Caitlyn's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. Unshed tears shined in Vi's eyes as the two locked eyes. Despite the pain and sadness in Vi's eyes, Caitlyn could see a glimmer of hope. Hope that Caitlyn would stay by her side.

In Caitlyn's eyes, Vi saw sadness, but there was also compassion. That compassion was something that Vi had been lacking for years now. They remained that way until Vi fell back asleep.

Caitlyn gently pulled her hand out Vi's now slack grip and stared a moment longer. Vi looked so peaceful and beautiful. Caitlyn then gently planted a kiss on the sleeping woman's forehead and whispered, "I'll be with you to the end." With that, Caitlyn got up and quietly left the room.