5

Pearl

The entire Served pitched into clearing the rubble, especially Doc and Ren who had blown it up in the first place. We got it cleared pretty quickly, but every minute we spent on digging was another minute Grian was in danger in my mind.

"Alright, so who's going after him?" Xisuma barked once it was cleared away. I immediately stepped forwards. X sighed.

"Of course." he said, reaching into his back and throwing a backpack. I nodded gratefully, stepping forwards. I was still on the Great Empires most-wanted terrorists list, and number one on the Gigacorp watchlist.

"I'm going too." Gem said. Mumbo and Scar stepped forwards as well, nodding. I shook my head.

"Too many. And this is something I need to do alone." I said.

"He's my brother, too." Gem said stubbornly. I stood, staring her dead in the eye.

"It's my fault he ran. I never should've lied to him. I need to do this." I said.

"We're coming anyways." Mumbo said determinedly. I raised an eyebrow.

"You've never left the Server. And, no offense Scar, but you're not the stealthiest person in the room." I said. A flash of hurt crossed his face for a moment, and a second later it was gone. I immediately felt bad about it.

"She's right. You two aren't ready, and we need Gem here in case something happens." Xisuma said. Gem closed her eyes for a moment, hesitant, then rushed into my arms.

"Be careful." she mumbled. I gave her a warm smile.

"I will. I'll bring our brother home. I promise." I said. She took a step back, nodding firmly.

"Ready?" X asked me. I slung my bag on, and nodded. He walked with me into the cave.

The Gateway itself was quite simple, which always surprised me. It was just a purple, rippling film set into the floor with a little keypad next to it for setting destinations. Xisuma stepped up to the keypad, typing in a few things before turning back to me.

"I set it to the most recent visited location, which just happens to be in the dead center of the Three Rivers Palace. Luckily for you, a resistance against the Great Empire launched an all-out attack on the capital and send the whole city into chaos, so you should be able to just slip right on into Lower Peninsula City." X explained, looking at me over his shoulder. I nodded tightly. Last time I had been in the Palace, Xisuma and half of Hermitcraft had to practically burn the place to the ground to get me out.

In other words, fun times.

I was just stepping up to the portal when X put his heavy hand on my shoulder.

"If you need backup, don't hesitate to call. I'm sure the Hermits'll drop whatever they're doing to come help you. I know I will." he said. I smiled, nodding gratefully. He nodded back.

"Proud of you. Now go kick some ass and get your brother back."

. . .

The moment I emerged in the Palace, my brain completely switched gears into the all too familiar 'kill or be killed' mentality.

I quickly slipped out of my dirty overalls, ripping the backpack open and pulling out a red and black leather jacket. I quickly slipped that on over my white shirt, pulling out a worn, red, wooden mask with sharp, carved edges. The only slits were two small eyeholes and a breathing hole. I quickly put it on.

I shoved the overalls into the bag, standing and quickly slipping out from behind the curtains and slinging the bag back over my shoulder.

Quick footsteps echoed down the hall, a pair of voices shouting at each other. I instinctively pulled my axe out, unable to duck to the side when the pair of guards came pounding into sight.