2

September 1st, 1944, was my first day in seventh form at Hogwarts.

my best friend, Bellatrix Lestrange was stretched out on my bed as if she owned it, kicking her legs happily.

"so i said to him that long distance wouldn't work and if he didn't come to Hogwarts with me, he'd never see me again." she sighed.

she was telling me about her summer romance with a boy from Durmstrang.

"you can't expect him to change schools for a girl he met two weeks ago," i tried to reason with her.

"i can," she rolled her eyes. "anyway, what about you?"

"what about me?"

"any summer flings you haven't told me about?" she grinned. "or are you still in love with Tom Riddle?"

Bella and Tom had grown up together, but after their parents fell out some years ago, they had drifted apart... then his parents died.

"Tom Riddle is a prick." i glared at her. "i don't understand why me constantly saying that makes you think i like him."

"he's untouchable, and that makes him hot." Bella shrugged. "everyone's convinced he's going to get head-boy."

i'd been trying to forget about the head-student hustings.

before the summer break, i'd applied for head-girl of Slytherin, not expecting much, but it had been on my mind since we'd finished school.

"well, i suppose we'll find out at supper, won't we." i tried to keep my voice light.

"i don't know why you applied, Aura. it's nothing but meetings and boring stuff."

"i think it would be fun,"

"yeah, if Tom gets head-boy." Bella snorted. "all those secret meetings... working alone together in the dead of night-"

"yeah, Bell, so i can shove his wand down his stupid throat when he pisses me off." i shook my head at her.

"or get his 'wand' down your throat," she cackled. "sorry, not funny."

after i finished unpacking, we headed down to the Great Hall for Dumbledore's speech and then supper.

most of the school was already seated so Bella and i were forced to sit towards the end of the table near the doors.

my eyes were involuntarily drawn to where Tom sat at the other end of the table.

his friends, Regulus Black, Avery Nott and Rodulphus Lestrange sat with him—a dark, cliquey group.

as always, Tom's expression cold and impassive and he scowled at anyone who looked at him for too long. 

i averted my gaze, instead staring wistfully at the unoccupied seats at the head of the table.

the two chairs were high-backed, made of dark wood and green velvet and had rearing snakes carved on the arm rests.

they were side by side, looking down along the table, and were reserved for the head boy and girl of the house.

i hoped that i'd be sat there by the end of the evening.

"hey, guys." Bella's sister, Narcissa sat opposite us.

she had her boyfriend, Lucius, in tow.

they'd been dating since first year and were basically inseparable.

"hey, Cissa." i reached over the table to hug her. "good summer?"

"yeah, i spent most of it with Lucius's family in Cornwall." she blushed.