Embracing Change

My personal journey of spirituality has been a winding and oftentimes confusing path, as it is for all of us. I had gone from an upbringing of Non-denominational Christianity to staunch atheism. While I respect all beliefs, I must admit, my most miserable and depressing years were my years left empty by my atheistic beliefs. It was not until I experimented and explored the intricate and complex world of spirituality, that I truly began to feel satisfaction. This is proof of one thing: There is no fixed self; we are ever-evolving, adaptable beings. As the world around us changes, so do we. Change is not inherently negative; in fact, it can be profoundly beneficial. Change can range from the monumental, such as breaking free from a toxic relationship to the simple, like the shifting of seasons. Change manifests in various levels and forms. When it comes to the evolution of the self, change is not just beneficial; it is essential to becoming kinder and more peaceful beings. But the question remains: What changes are the most significant and important?

 Amidst the flux, there are core values, what I like to call fundamental truths, that anchor us as humans. Despite our cells dying and regenerating with each passing moment, there are moments when our sense of self remains stable to a degree. Consider, for example, a phrase that reminds you of a show you once loved or a crush you once held dear. These are snapshots of past evolutions of yourself, preserved in your memory or the memories of others. As long as you nurture and continue to feed these echoes of your past, they have influence over you. They become a form of possession, akin to an addiction, hoarding what was, or what could have been. We have much to learn from our past; it is the foundation of our potential for growth.  We must recognize that there is no past, no future—only an unbroken chain of moments composing our present. As clichéd as the saying may sound, it holds profound truth.