Getting Closer to the Truth

There's probably a big question you're asking yourself now: how does one look within and how does one start this journey of self-reflection? Let me divide this into sections and bullet points to make things less concentrated and more organized.

- First: Recognize your true nature. I always loved the quote "you are a piece of the universe trying to figure itself out". You are a piece of something greater and higher than you, something you cannot grasp or understand by your mind alone. It doesn't matter whether this greater thing is called "God", "gods", spirits, energy, or just something else entirely, what matters is that you are just a small part of it.

- Second: Recognize the true nature of mankind. Realize that all of humanity is the same, a living and breathing organism that functions as a body with different organs and entities. See your fellow humans as those you can uplift and improve, not berate and ruin.

- Third: Do not rely on the truth of others, for the truth is within. Don't let a priest or parent, or whoever is over you say you are worthless or that you are doing wrong. Of course some of them may be trying to assist you, but ask yourself this: "Is what I'm doing hurting others? Am I not improving others? Am I hurting myself? Am I not improving?" If the answer to all these questions is no, ignore them. Realize that not everyone is meant to go on the journey with you. Accepting reality and the way things are is a road everyone must take someday, but not a road for everyone to take now. All you can do is worry about improving yourself. By reflecting on these questions, you are able to better focus your energies on more important matters.

- Fourth: Belief is less than action. Know that while belief can be powerful and important to some, worry about what you are doing, not what you believe in. Everyone who acts has belief, but not all with belief act upon it. Let all your actions and words improve and assist others, even if it may be difficult. Say things with truth alongside love.

- Fifth: Seek to become a teacher, but always remain a student. Never stop learning. Continue to gain knowledge and wisdom. Even if wisdom comes from an enemy or from somewhere you don't accept; still listen. All truth is valuable, and I feel that truth connects us all. Eventually, you will become a teacher, but even once you reach that level, never stop asking questions, thinking critically, and being a student to greater masters.

I will talk about greater masters and greater places in my next chapter. Feel free to comment if this touched you, if you have further questions, advice on what I should write next, or wisdom you would like to share.