Chapter Eight

For my own safety I neglected to put anything about Luci into my journal. I had anticipated letting a choice few read my journal ahead of time, so I kept Luci’s appearances out of my journal.

What I had mentioned was Ben. What he looked like each week, when he attacked me, the number of scars that resulted from the attacks. Everything I could detail about him I wrote down.

I also detailed my frustration with my dad. He kept thinking that I was hurting myself to get his attention. I couldn’t make him understand what was going on, he thought I was just using my imagination.

I look at Hailey as she reads the book, her eyes wide as she reads the details.

Hailey closes the book, horror in her eyes, “Kenzie…” her tone suggests that she thinks that I am lying.

I take the book back and put it at the very bottom of the box, “It’s not a lie Hailey,” I take off my jacket and pull up the sleeves of my t-shirt. The scar on my right shoulder is raised. Several other scars overlap it, making the overlapped scars look like a warped pentagram.

“The boy mentioned in the journal, Ben. His ghost ages with me. He follows me,” I point to Ben, “He’s right there Hailey,“

She looks to where I’m pointing, again seeing nothing, “There’s nothing there Kenzie! What are you talking about? You see ghosts and shit? Come on you don’t have to lie to me about what’s going on,”

I look at Ben. He’s got a wide smile on his face, mischievous no doubt. I give him a nod of approval, I don’t care what his plan is but by the look on his face it’s a good one.

Ben walks behind her, making sure his footsteps are heard.

Hailey looks behind her, nervous at the sound.

He taps her shoulder, making her flinch.

I smile playfully at Ben, “Turn off the lights,”

He goes quickly to the lights and starts turning them on and off, laughing when Hailey starts screaming. He keeps the lights off.

“Okay! Okay Kenzie!!! I believe you just make it stop!” Hailey screams.

“Fine Hailey. Ben that’s enough now turn the lights back on,” I tell him, sitting down on the couch.

He turns on the lights and comes to stand next to me.

“Kenz, what are we going to do about the ride? The route is figured out right?” Hailey says, turning the subject away from what she’s just witnessed.

“It’s figured out don’t worry about it. I’m just wondering if I’m going to be ready to go by then..,” I reply, my mind vaguely focused on my dad.

Hailey brings me into a hug, “It’ll be alright Kenz, you know we are here for you all the way,”

“I want to believe that Hailey, I really do, but with what’s happening with Dez I don’t think all of us are on the same page when it comes to why I want to do this ride. Now that I know a few things from the information that Jake has gotten for me I know why I want to get their attention,”

“What information did Jake get for you? What do you want to do?” Hailey asks.

“At least five of the guys who attacked my dad,” tears form in my eyes as I think about my dad more, “At least five of them were prospects for the Hells Angels. They want me vulnerable, they already know about us. They know about me. I want to do this ride to show them that we as a club are stronger than they think,”

Hailey smiles, keeping her hand on my shoulder, “I know you’ll do what’s best for us Kenz. I trust your judgement,”

I sigh, “But what I question more, is who is really on my side. Who, of all of our members, is willing to go through with this ride,”