Chapter Ten

I stand outside the clubhouse, waiting patiently for the members to arrive with the people they’ve invited.

The people the old members have invited have showed up as well, it’s good to know that the old members didn’t cancel the plans with their friends to come, it’s good to know they don’t hold it against me for telling them that they had to leave the club for not being as loyal as I wanted them to be.

I guide a group of people inside, “Take a seat anywhere, we’ll be heading out soon enough, but for now please make yourselves comfortable,”

Hailey comes out from the main room, “Kenzie, that’s everybody that was invited. We’re waiting for you when you’re ready,”

I nod in her direction, “Thanks, I‘ll be inside soon,” I glance to my right. Ben is standing next to me, his pained expression making me feel sick to my stomach. “Everything okay Ben?”

He looks back at me, “He‘s just doing it again… I‘ll be fine Mackenzie, you don‘t have to worry about me,”

“If he’s hurting anybody I have reason to worry. Do you really think that we’ll be able to stop him?” I ask nervously, thinking about our discussion.

“He should be able to be defeated, and he will be. Just use your kind and compassionate heart to your advantage. It will be his undoing, I can say that for sure. He won’t be expecting it from anyone, least of all you, it’s the perfect cover,” Ben says, watching a group of people, including James and Hailey come outside, cigarette packs in hand.

“But what I’m worried about is his reaction,” I mumble, watching them laughing and chatting. They’re having the time of their lives tonight. I walk over to Hailey and James, “Hey guys, how’s everyone doing inside?”

Hailey takes her lit smoke from her lips, “They’re doing fine. Some of them are asking about the clubhouse. Others are asking about the club itself. Several of them look like they’re considering joining,”

I rub my shoulder, pain shooting up my arm, “Good. We will be heading out in ten minutes. Please make an announcement when you’re finished out here that those who want to join can come out here and speak to me personally about it,”

“Alright Kenz, I’ll go as soon as I’m done,” Hailey agrees, taking another drag of her smoke.

I nod, “Thank you Hailey,”

James seems stressed, the hand holding his cigarette is shaking noticeably.

“James?” I touch his shoulder.

He flinches under my hand, then relaxes again, “I keep seeing him… I keep seeing him…” he mumbles frantically, taking a long drag from his lit cigarette. The hot cherry falls from the tip landing at his feet.

I look at him, not shocked, but afraid, “You’ve been seeing him? How long?”

“Since the meeting… he started coming to me at night,” he shudders, “H-he just stares at me, like he’s… like he’s…” James stops, lost in deep thought.

“Hungry…” I mumble, fear running into my mind when I remember the way he looked at Hailey.

James nods, “Yeah…”

“Look, don’t pay him any attention. Don’t talk to him, don’t touch him. Alright?” I say, regret flooding my mind from when I had spoken to the devil that first time.

“Of course Kenz,” he  drops his cigarette on the ground and grinds into the dirt with his heel, “I’m going to go inside, see you in there,”