|Chapter Nineteen|

Noah has been in a mood since he brought me home. I didn't know where we had been or who that other man was in the room, but before I had time to ask about it Noah was picking me up and the next minute we were back in my apartment. I wasn't sure what was going on or how long I was gone, but I had three missed calls from Allison, so it must have been a while.

He hasn't stopped pacing on my balcony, threatening to kill her, whoever she was. Although, I had a feeling it was the beautiful woman that had invaded my home at one point.

"Noah, you have to tell me what's going on, you are freaking me out," I finally say, standing up and stepping in his path. He stops short, balls his hands into fists, sighs and moves to the railing. I've never seen anyone more worked up than he is right now, and I had barely seen him anything but smug. He was not smug now, he was murderous and I didn't know what he was going to do.

He doesn't say anything, just grips the railing, his tattoos stretching across his knuckles. He's obviously not going to talk to me, but I have to do something so I wrap my arms around him from behind. Noah turns in my arms and presses my head to his chest, where there should be a beating heart I hear nothing. His chest doesn't rise and fall with his lungs filling with air and I remember he's not a human. Even if he is having a very human reaction to a complication he hasn't figured out how to eradicate yet.

"Lilith is the one who tried to get you to kill yourself, angel. Which means she's known about the prophecy long before I did and she's already tried to get you to make the sacrifice for the Abyss. I'm going to have to send her back to the Abyss where she can't reach you, but I've lost the advantage with her. She knows what you mean to me, not in so many words but my actions lately have been too erratic. I can't leave you alone, but I can't bring you with me and I don't know what to do, angel."

It's the first time I've seen Noah vulnerable, and I don't like the look. I want to kill her myself for causing the look on his face right now, his eyebrows scrunched in consternation while his eyes dance across my face.

"Maybe you can wait until she shows up to try to kill me and take her out then," I say looking up at him. I can't believe I'm having this conversation, casually talking about my death when a few months ago I couldn't leave my house without the proper rituals.

"She's already in your head, she can take you back whenever she wants you," he says softly, running a fingertip along my forehead to push my hair out of my face. He sighs, and it's heavy with the weight of the world literally on his shoulders. He bends down and kisses the top of my head, but he's even more worried than ever and I just want to fix this for him.

__

"I'm going to try to find her, angel, please go right to sleep and don't go anywhere," I tell Briar when she gets out of the shower. She's wearing one of my t-shirts and it slips off her delicate shoulder exposing her pale skin.

"Do whatever you need to do," she says, getting into the bed with her kindle.

"I'll be back as soon as I can. And Briar?" she nods, watching me intently, "remember, if you end up in the Grey, find your way back to me. Always look for me."

"I will always look for you, Noah," she repeats and my name is a soft sigh on her lips. I bend down to kiss her, my fingers weave in her hair and she makes a small noise under me as I deepen the kiss.

Before I go look for Lilith, I go to Cassiel. He looks like he's been waiting on me as he grabs a coat.

"I can't do this alone," I tell him.

"I know, brother," he says, gripping my shoulder as we both prepare to look for her at the usual spots.

Maalik is the obvious first choice, it was where I saw her last. He's where I saw him the last time, two different women in the cages by his head. He grins when he sees us and stands to greet us.