|Chapter Twenty|

"What the fuck does that mean?" I ask, spit flies from my gritted teeth.  I'm frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog, I can't wait to get rid of her once and for all.  If she hadn't already put a spell on my angel, I wouldn't even be entertaining this.

"Your human, it's so dark inside of her head, it would be a shame if she decided to end it all," Lilith grins and pushes the angel sword away from her chest.  The wound heals instantly and she gathers the blood on her finger and presses it to her lips before sucking the liquid off. 

"What the fuck did you do?"

"I just gave her a way out, Sebastian, she's so sad," Lilith's lips turn down into a fake pout.  "There's still time though, if you leave right now."

"This isn't over," I promise.

"It never was," she blows me a kiss as I phase out and back to Briar's apartment.

I don't know why I haven't been able to feel that she was in distress this whole time.  I appear in the bathroom, thinking she's drowning, but she's not in there.  I can't feel her at all, I should be able to sense her even if she's not in distress.  I make my way to her bedroom, living room, kitchen, I finally see her on her balcony railing.  She's standing on wobbly legs holding onto the spandrel so tightly I can see the whites of her knuckles.  I can hear her cries when I open the door and I don't hesitate, I just grab her waist and yank her from the railing.

I fall into the oversized chair and tuck her under my chin while her body shakes with deep sobs.  I can feel her heart right now, and it's totally level.  It's the normal 60 bpm that she averages while she sleeps.  Her tears soak through my shirt, and neither of us have said anything.  I'm scared to hear what happened, because I know it's bad whatever it was.  This magic Lilith put on her is something I haven't dealt with and it's becoming more and more dangerous as time goes on.

"What happened, angel?"

"I heard the same chanting I heard the night of the accident, but I didn't want it, Noah.  It was so hard to fight the chanting, I was going to jump.  I didn't feel anything at all, I just had instructions to jump.  I was trapped in my own body and I couldn't stop it.  I'm so glad you showed up when you did," she recants, her voice thick with her tears while she wipes her face with the back of her hands.

"I will always protect you," I tell her, looking her in her beautiful multicolored eyes, imploring her to believe me.  I kiss her forehead right over her angry scar and pull her back in my arms.

"Did you kill her?" she asks, her voice a whisper while she plays with the hem of my shirt that she's still wearing.

"It was kill her or save you, I'm afraid.  It's not over though, angel, she won't get away with this."

Briar shudders in my arms and I tighten my hold on her. She's silent for a long time, and I think she's fallen asleep when she speaks again.

"What are we going to do?"

"You don't have anything to worry about, I'm not going to let you out of my sight," I growl. "Let's get you back to bed."

She silently untangles herself from me and walks back into the apartment. I close the door and lock it before following her. She's already in bed when I catch up to her. She watches as I pull off my clothes and slip into the covers beside her. I lay on my back while she settles on my chest and I wrap an arm around her waist.

"Sweet dreams," I say softly, pressing my hand to her forehead so she can sleep easily.

I don't follow her into her slumber, instead I count the breaths she takes and watch her eyelids flit with slight movement while she snores lightly.